Talk

Advanced search

What time do you put baby to bed?

(18 Posts)
StillPukin Mon 03-Mar-14 16:48:38

I'm really trying to establish a routine so from the 2nd week I take DD (6 wks old now) for a bath at 9 (because it will fit with us eventually) then we go to bed where I feed her until she goes to sleep then put her in her moses basket.
Trouble is, sometimes it can be after midnight before she goes to sleep for 2 hours then wakes hourly after that - although she was still awake after 3am last night sad
I was wondering if its too late for her to go to bed,, but I'd lose my whole evening if I was to take her earlier.
So what time do most people take their tiny ones to bed?

elportodelgato Mon 03-Mar-14 16:52:18

Honestly? She's tiny! Let her sleep on you or in a Moses basket in the living room in the evenings. It's not like she's going to go right through the night yet is it?

KatAndKit Mon 03-Mar-14 16:57:25

They don't have any idea of what is day and what is night at such an early stage. Just bathe her when it suits you and get her to sleep when she is tired. I think for many babies, 3 or 4 months is the earliest you can really have established a bedtime routine.

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 16:58:36

11pm at 6 weeks, when we went to bed.

They're not intrusive when they're so tiny so I just kept DS downstairs. When he started crawling I started putting him to bed earlier.

meringuesnowflakes33 Mon 03-Mar-14 17:20:36

At 6 weeks about 10pm
I didn't bother bathing him much at that age as he hated baths and wasn't dirty!
Now he is nearly 14 mo we do have a routine - dinner between 4-5pm, bath (usually), then bed between 6-8pm depending on naps earlier in the day.

StillPukin Mon 03-Mar-14 18:07:31

Hmm, perhaps I need to get a grip,, I thought everybody had some sort of routine by this time confused

soupmaker Mon 03-Mar-14 18:20:42

We didn't do routine with DD2 until about 4 months and she kind of fell into herself. I liked having her in the Moses basket next to us while I snoozed, watched tv and ate cake! I'd be very relaxed about it.

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 18:23:46

I didn't have a routine until about 15 months grin

If you want one or feel it would help then by all means try it, but there's no reason to do so just because it's "what people do". I didn't really need to until DS started nursery but it helped him eat more when the day was predictable so that's when we started.

helebear Mon 03-Mar-14 18:36:34

Mine both fell into a routine of going to bed at 6ish at about 6-8weeks. Up until that point we cuddled them, they lay on a pillow between us on the sofa or in the pram in the same room and went to bed when we did. At about 6-8 weeks both seemed to want to go to sleep in the early evening and were distracted by being in a room with lights on, talking, music, tv etc. then I fed them again when I went to bed. Don't think I started doing regular evening baths until about 4 months as I tended to use is as an 'activity' in the day.

Ragwort Mon 03-Mar-14 18:53:20

I established a routine very early on, my DS had a bath and then went to bed at 7pm. But I know that routines aren't very popular on Mumsnet grin.

LurkingNineToFive Mon 03-Mar-14 18:59:18

IMO/IME babies are the ones who make the routine and we fit in with them. Just try to work out when she's getting hungry, and tired and around that. I have never included bath time in the bed time routine and dd is a good sleeper so I don't think it makes a difference.
Congratulations!

StillPukin Mon 03-Mar-14 19:02:46

Its just that this is how we did it with our DS and it really helped our evenings/nights run smoothly - but that was 14 yrs ago and I was wondering what we did differently and how other people do it

MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 03-Mar-14 19:05:13

We did bath bottle then bed for seven but bed was moses basket in the living room. Dd slept 7-11, then she got a fresh bottle and we moved her to the bedroom with us.

KingR0llo Mon 03-Mar-14 19:06:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OsMalleytheCat Mon 03-Mar-14 19:10:26

Clearly a minority here but I put DS (5months) to bed at 7pm and have done since I brought his home from the hospital, for me it was really important to try and get him into a bedtime routine as early as possible.

MadameJosephine Mon 03-Mar-14 19:14:48

DD sorted her own routine. She used to cluster feed all evening and come to bed with me at 10 until she was about 4 months old and then she started falling asleep earlier and earlier until she established that 7pm was her bedtime and it still is at 16 months - she's the boss in this house lol

cupcake78 Mon 03-Mar-14 19:17:13

Ds was in a routine by 6 weeks and would go to sleep for 7.30. I thought it was because of routine, it wasn't it was just his way!

Dd we started with a routine from day one like we did with ds. She was still awake at midnight most nights. She is now 8 months and since 5-6 months she settles at 7pm after bath bottle etc.

I firmly believe a routine can assist with getting baby into a bedtime but at 6 weeks it doesn't make any difference. They either will or won't.

By 4-5 months they begin to recognise a routine. Once weaning at 6 months they settle down and are aware of routines.

magicalmrmistoffelees Mon 03-Mar-14 19:31:27

We had absolutely no bedtime routine at 6 weeks. DD is now 16 weeks and has a bath and bf then bed for 7pm. I do a dream feed when we go up to bed at around 10.30pm. I was dreading implementing a routine as I thought we had left it too late and it would be a massive struggle, but in reality it took us 2 nights to establish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now