Talk

Advanced search

Blankets- do they have to be cellular for 5mo?

(11 Posts)
KikiShack Mon 03-Mar-14 09:16:26

DD is huge, way way above the 99.6 centile line and over 20lbs when last weighed a month ago, so probably 22lbs now at a week shy of 5 months.
She barely fits below the cellular blankets we've been using for naps; we use a grobag at night so aren't worried about that.
She doesn't nap in her cot that often tbh, she often naps in bed with me (safe co sleeping) or in the buggy or sometimes on the boob in cinema or at home if she won't settle anywhere else.
However I'm trying to get her into the cot more now, mostly because cot naps are normally quite short which I want to try and fix.
Anyway so I need to buy new blankets, do I need to buy cellular ones or is that less of a problem now she's bigger and older? Will the knitted type ones, fairly close knit I'm thinking of? I can see fleece ones aren't ideal.
Any advice gratefully received.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Mar-14 09:23:33

I used to put them in a grobag for naps too. Maybe try a more lightweight one

KikiShack Mon 03-Mar-14 09:35:42

I did think of that power but I quite like the grobag being just for nighttime. To try and break boob sleep association I'm going to start putting her in the grobag after her final sleep so I want that link to develop, without naps too confusing things. Otherwise I would definitely do that.

EmmaLL25 Mon 03-Mar-14 10:50:57

We have a large cellular blanket, suitable for cot bed. Think I got it in mothercare.

poocatcherchampion Sat 08-Mar-14 20:49:07

we use all types. fleece, knitted and cellular.
its very cold here mind.

BertieBotts Sat 08-Mar-14 20:50:56

I don't think I always used cellular ones, I used a mixture of cotton (without holes), cellular and fleece ones.

For naps I wouldn't worry too much. She won't be going into a hugely deep sleep and you're around so can check her temperature.

MyNameIsKenAdams Sat 08-Mar-14 20:52:23

We bought a cellular blanket and mever used it. Got bought a lovely pram blanket from h&m which we used in addition to swaddling with a giant muslin square.

TheSkiingGardener Sat 08-Mar-14 20:55:24

Never used the cellular ones. DS snuggles up under a variety of things!

Marrow Sat 08-Mar-14 21:01:58

No they don't need to be cellular- not even for a newborn. However why not use her Grobag for naps? If she's used to sleeping in one at night it will be a good cue for her to relax and have a good sleep. Mine always napped in their Grobags and were great sleepers.

Marrow Sat 08-Mar-14 21:02:59

Sorry, missed your second post about not wanting to use Grobag!

Rosieliveson Sat 08-Mar-14 21:05:24

I don't use cellular for naps unless I want an extra later but don't want to add too much warmth.
DS is 6 months. I always have the blanket tucked very firmly in at the bottom and 2 side of the crib then tuck the second side in once DS is snuggled up. At night he has a grobag too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now