Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm taking no more shit!!! (help me)

(19 Posts)
Onesieone Sun 02-Mar-14 17:40:53

Ds4 is just about to turn 2 and weakens 6-10 times.a night.
I'm seriously sleep deprived at this point.
He is addicted to his bottle, taking up to 4 full bottles overnight.
So u see I need to sleep train him.

Can I put him down with a bottle then sleep train him to self settle the rest of the night. What's the best method?

Onesieone Sun 02-Mar-14 18:38:21

Anyone?

Dirtymistress Sun 02-Mar-14 18:47:28

Put him to bed, sit next to bed. Wait till he goes to sleep. Do not speak or touch him. Repeat as necessary. You will both cry. Grim, but certainly for a two year old milk monster, absolutely necessary.

Dirtymistress Sun 02-Mar-14 18:48:42

No bottle! At all. Before bed, in the morning if he must, none through the nightsmile

GingerMaman Sun 02-Mar-14 18:50:18

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have no suggestions, but just wanted to lend out a hand of support. I have a 9 month old with hourly wakings, so know how horrible it is.

Onesieone Sun 02-Mar-14 21:49:46

REALLY? No bottle at all? Not even to settle him?
Ok. I can see why? I hope I'm brave enough.

TerrifiedMothertobe Sun 02-Mar-14 21:55:34

Oh you poor thing. Good luck.

KatAndKit Mon 03-Mar-14 09:12:42

Supply and demand. If the supply of midnight milk dries up he will stop waking for it. There is no reason he needs four bottles overnight.it is just a habit he has got into. I would go cold turkey on the bottles. Give him a nice big bottle with his bedtime story, put him in bed without a bottle and lie next to his cot shhhing and hand holding till he goes to sleep.

Onesieone Mon 03-Mar-14 20:16:45

Ok ladies I'm so grateful for the advice. My OH is home on Wednesday so I will do the cold turkey from then, least I will be able to concentrate on him and OH can sort the other 3. X

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 20:34:42

You could try the toddler no cry sleep solution. I don't think it's fair to go cold turkey when he's had it all this time.

Onesieone Mon 03-Mar-14 21:49:04

I just bought the toddler no cry sleep solution. Have it here now and reading it. It's an easy read isn't it. Hopefully it will help. Fingers crossed.

SauceForTheGander Mon 03-Mar-14 21:52:02

No bottle. You can leave bottle of water by the bed if you need to - just the comfort suck will work.

My DD got into this habit too because it was a quick way of getting back to sleep. Calories during the day will pick up too. Offer something to eat 30 mins before bed; banana, Weetabix etc.

Good luck.

Onesieone Tue 04-Mar-14 03:13:45

Ok sauce. Will I put the water in a cup by the bed and just bin the bottle all together?

SauceForTheGander Thu 06-Mar-14 22:00:22

Sorry - late reply - I still gave a bottle.

How's it been going?

Figster Thu 06-Mar-14 22:03:07

Cripes 4 bottles a night how does he still have any teeth? U can't brush them in the middle of the night surely?

Definitely give water only hope he makes it easy for you OP that sounds horrendous

Onesieone Fri 07-Mar-14 07:25:11

He's still screaming most of the night now because I won't give him a bottle of milk. He usually cries about 1 1/2 hours then sleeps for a couple then wakens again. Getting less sleep at the mo than I did when I was giving him bottles. But hoping if I persevere it will pass.

SauceForTheGander Fri 07-Mar-14 13:03:23

It will -DD screamed for milky for a few nights but it's definitely worth it. Some painful nights and then improvements. DD isn't a brilliant sleeper but at least not waking up screaming for milk like she used to.

You can do this!

Maybe see if you can wangle a weekend lie in.

flowers

GingerPCatt Fri 07-Mar-14 13:14:21

If you've already started cold turkey ignore me. When I was in a similar stimulation with DS I gradually cutdown on the amount in each bottle. It took a couple of weeks but we got there in the end.

TheBakeryQueen Fri 07-Mar-14 19:33:04

At 2 you can explain to him that night time is for sleeping. I would give him his bedtime bottle & then go cold turkey on night bottles.

I did this aged 2.5 with ds1, expecting it to be really hard, he had hour long tantrums for about a week & then gave up the milk in the night.

I was worried about his teeth but they are perfect still now at 6.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now