Talk

Advanced search

Toddler sleep

(11 Posts)
fenjilina Sun 02-Mar-14 10:05:30

Hi everyone! Im new (first post) and looking for advice about my 18mo dd's sleep. She has had a bedtime routine since day 1 and has always gone to bed well at night. However, she wakes really early (we've been up since 4.45am) and will not go back to sleep no matter what I do (milk, changer her, leave her, put her in our bed etc). She then is grumpy all morning and won't nap. She screams in her cot and just climbs out of my bed. I work too and am really needing some help to sort this. I have no family to help me hmm

fenjilina Sun 02-Mar-14 10:06:00

p.s going to bed later makes no difference

MoreSnowPlease Sun 02-Mar-14 10:08:55

Have you tried black out blinds?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sun 02-Mar-14 10:10:43

It will pass. Eventually. In the meantime, can you get more sleep by going to bed earlier yourself? Or is there someone who can take turns with you at getting up early?

fenjilina Sun 02-Mar-14 10:32:28

Thanks moresnow we do have black out blinds, yes. Motheroftwo, I currently work until 11.15pm so don't have much option about early nights (I work in the day too). I literally have nobody to help me

MoreSnowPlease Sun 02-Mar-14 15:08:31

Hmm...hard to comment on another child but if my ds stared doing this it would be because of either being hungry/thirsty, going to bed too late/early (if I put him to bed later he wakes earlier) or just one of those things!

WillSingForCake Sun 02-Mar-14 15:49:30

Does she eat well? What's her nap schedule usually like?

BigPigLittlePig Sun 02-Mar-14 21:18:28

My dd (15m) has been a dreadful sleeper (reflux - say no more) but the one thing that has worked for us in recent times, in similar circumstances to what you describe, is me sleeping on a mattress next to her cot, once she has woken. I ignore her, although she is welcome to hold my hand. The first night I did this, she was really quite cross understatement but within a couple of nights, had sorted herself out. I think sometimes they just fall into new (bad) habits for no real reason. Good luck cracking this.

TerrifiedMothertobe Sun 02-Mar-14 21:49:23

My little boy started doing the same thing
Around the same age. He is now 29 months and we are still getting wake up calls between 5-7 am. We hav.e tried everything and can't see a pattern- although it started with too much light. We are now about to cut out his daytime nap when not in nursery in the hope he goes 7-6 reliably, teething is also a major major issue at this age- do you think it could be that?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 05-Mar-14 17:29:02

If you're at work until 11.15pm, who puts her to bed? Could there be a lack of routine at bed time, leading to her being unsettled/hungry?

LearnerM0ther Thu 06-Mar-14 10:31:43

I would second teething theory.. Mine woke at 4:30am as standard for 2 months. Cut 6 teeth in that time. It was a looooong 8 weeks or so but it did stop. Eventually..!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now