Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had or have a 2.5-3 year old who wakes for 2-3 hours a night?

(8 Posts)
AllBellyandBoobs Sun 02-Mar-14 09:56:28

If so, did you figure out why? Did they just stop themselves or did you magic up a solution?

My dd is 3 in a few weeks time. She has never been a decent sleeper, not even as a newborn. Her thing now is that she wakes up, shouts for me, I take her to my bed and she'll be awake for the next 2-3 hours. If she starts off in my bed, she'll still wake for a long period at some point.

I know stricter parents will say I should leave her in her room but I have never known a more stubborn person. She can out shout any of us, I'm exhausted and 6 months pregnant so don't have the energy. Plus, it's not really my style.

Anyway, anyone had similar issues?

AllBellyandBoobs Mon 03-Mar-14 12:04:38

Shameless bump

mrswaddo Tue 04-Mar-14 08:25:05

That must be so hard and I can see how difficult you must find your nights especially being pregnant. My dd is now 3 years old and we have a pretty similar story except it has been from 18 months old and never really been able to pin point why they wake. I wouldn't say my dd is awake for several hours, she will settle once in with us but it is very frustrating that she will not stay in own bed. I find it has a vicious circle the more tired mum and dad are as we are inclined to give in. Have you tried a regular bedtime routine with events happening at the same time each night. This had worked for us but you have to be consistent and when old habits occur get back to it. Sleep creates sleep sometimes does your dd rest during the day???? Basically, my little one is not napping at all in day so I start routine really early, 6.30pm, we try not to have any stimulants on 30 mins before bed so no tv, just a little play together without too much excitement I.e. Puzzle or something and then upstairs for a 10 min bath, no harsh lighting, then a book read together and then explain you don't want them to come in until the sun pops up. U can try a night light too. We have never had trouble settling our dd but find this nighttime routine helps with night waking, when I don't do this we have the problems start again. At first we had the tantrums and you do have to be persistent and keep returning them to bed, try and stay calm as eventually they will be. Obviously, if you are really worried about it then speak to your health visitor as she may have some good suggestions to help.

AllBellyandBoobs Tue 04-Mar-14 14:10:12

Thanks for the reply. We do have a bedtime routine which has been in place for a couple of years probably, shower, stories with milk, clean teeth and into bed. She dropped her nap 3 or 4 months ago and since then is now usually asleep by 7. Nothing we do seems to make much difference to this waking, it just seems to be the latest in a long line of sleep issues. Her sleep is getting better in the sense that once she is asleep she is not easily disturbed. She'll do about 5 or 6 hours of really deep sleep and then be awake for a couple of hours before sleeping for another couple. She averages about 10 hours a night with maybe one night a week where she'll do 12 hours (with just a quick wake up to crawl in with me).

I suppose she'll just gradually keep improving as she ages, maybe starting pre school will help.

JoinTheDots Tue 04-Mar-14 14:12:04

Mine would wake for an hour or more at that age, grew out of it on her own after a couple of months. Preschool probably did help as did better weather and using more energy running outside!

britney92 Tue 04-Mar-14 14:34:40

I have 2 non sleepers. DD is nearly 8 and still doesn't sleep through and DS is 3. I'd be in an asylum if it wasn't for red bull. DD wakes up a couple of times a night but can be argued back to bed. DS just gets up when he wakes up and scream until his day starts. Be it 11pm at night or 5am. He normally wakes between 4 and 5. Both have had a good bedtime routine and regular hours. Been flexible with it mind due to various strategies in placed by health visitors but nothing has done any good. At my wits end about now. I've already broken down I tears this morning after visiting the dr as I thought I'd discovered the problem. They both have extremely large tonsils and once removed according to google normal sleep occurs. He doesn't think lack of sleep is a justifiable reason for surgery. hmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmm

AllBellyandBoobs Tue 04-Mar-14 16:12:56

Wow britney you're probably wondering what I'm complaining about. I think you should go and see another doctor, that level of tiredness is no good for any of you. Maybe you'll have more luck with a more sympathetic GP?

Jointhedots There might be some hope for us then!

britney92 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:01:24

I'm booked in with The Children's Sleep Charity next week for a one to one. My health visitor says these are the guys that train them. Googled them and they sound brill. Can't wait as at the moment pinning my future sanity on them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now