Talk

Advanced search

When on average do you stop using bed guards?

(8 Posts)
Twilight23 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:32:21

My dd is 5 and sleeps quite badly. She has a bed guard and when checking on her at night she is pushed up against it. Even in her sleep she knows it is there!

Her floor is hard so worry she will fall out if I remove the guard.

Any tips?

NickNacks Tue 25-Feb-14 13:34:57

Around 3rd birthday. We've had the odd fall out of bed but they quickly learn it's not there. She's leaning on it because it's there iyswim.

NickNacks Tue 25-Feb-14 13:35:48

Oh and for the first few nights we put a spare duvet on the floor.

givemeaclue Tue 25-Feb-14 13:37:09

About 3? Fell out once. Put cushions on the floor.

treaclesoda Tue 25-Feb-14 13:39:03

how high is the bed?

I must admit we never used bed guards at all, and both ours went into a bed at around 18 months, but the bed was a little junior low down bed so I had no concerns about them actually hurting themselves if they fell out.

If the bed is not too high, I wouldn't be too worried to be honest. The main thing is to be sure that the area around the bed is clear or toys etc so that if the worst happens and they do fall out, they won't land on something that will hurt them.

Seeline Tue 25-Feb-14 13:41:06

Never used them. When they first went from cot to bed I put some pillows on the floor. I think both DCs fell out once or twice, but I think they both fell off our bed a couple of times as babies and came to no harm grin

Twilight23 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:42:19

She has a cabin bed so not too high.

I did not have a bed guard and do not recall ever falling out of the bed.

Her bedroom is tiny and the guard gets in the way so may remove it.

MiaowTheCat Tue 25-Feb-14 18:32:36

I've taken DD1's off this week at 22 months (she's been in a bed since 17 months as she was a very tall climber so could get out of a cot easily)... she was starting to swing backwards and forwards standing up in her bed leaning on it. She's in a toddler bed with a slight inbuilt one anyway though so she's unlikely to fall and is very low to the ground if she did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now