Talk

Advanced search

Newborn sleep

(10 Posts)
Madallie Sun 23-Feb-14 22:09:53

I have a 2 week old dc2. At the moment she doesn't really like being put down to sleep still awake. She fusses, is unsettled and then eventually cries. Consequently she is fed/cuddled/rocked to sleep. I have no problem with this. I adore the cuddles and her being close to me and of course I know she is so young. The only thing I worry about is this being her only way to settles to sleep and what happens when these things stop working.

Dc1 was a terrible sleeper, couldn't be put down for weeks at first, then could only be out down if in a deep sleep from feeding or cuddling. She is still not a great sleeper.

I just really want to avoid this happening again. I don't want to deny my little one cuddles or being fed to sleep as this is comforting and would never want her to cry to sleep but i just don't know whether eventually I will have to DO something or is it likely at a certain age she will start to self settle?

Just wanted some advise if anyone has any?

PoppettyPing Mon 24-Feb-14 09:00:22

Honestly, don't worry about it! Enjoy the cuddles and keep feeding/rocking etc. to sleep. Babies need this stuff, it's biology! Congratulations on your new little one.

Alexandra6 Mon 24-Feb-14 10:05:55

My DD is 11 weeks and still breastfed to sleep during the day and night! I also let her nap on me a lot as she naps better during the day on me (I put her down, asleep, in her cosleeper bed at night though and she sleeps quite well). I'm so torn between trying to introduce habits/routines that might help her "self settle" later or just going with the flow. The only time she isn't fed to sleep is when she's out in her pram when she often falls asleep. So will be watching this with interest!

CountingSleep Mon 24-Feb-14 19:53:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

hotcrossbun83 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:01:17

Ds is 11 weeks and is just starting to self settle. I started 'training' a week ago with naps, putting him down awake and rocking the crib rather than cuddling to sleep. Hopefully I can reduce the rocking so soon he doesn't need it. He won't do it for nighttime though, he just cries and I won't do anything with crying.

I wouldn't stress yet, give them opportunities to settle and when you notice that occasionally they do it then work on making it consistent.

spritesoright Tue 25-Feb-14 02:24:29

Hi Madallie I remember you from the second labours thread. Now here we are in sleep, LOL. The fun never ends.
DD2 is 11 days old now and a brilliant sleeper during the day...not so much at night.
I keep thinking I should put her in the Moses basket during the day so she gets used to sleeping there but then I don't want to miss out on all the newborn cuddles, especially as she will probably be my last baby.
I think hotcrossbuns advice is good and sleep techniques would be more effective when they're a bit older.
It's so much more difficult with a second child as you can't nap during the day, making sleep all the more desperate!

Madallie Tue 25-Feb-14 20:58:36

Hi sprites, I remember you too. We must have had our dd2s on the same day, February 14th? I know, one minute we're so desperate for the little ones to arrive the next we're thinking about sleep, feeding etc. I think you're right about the above advise. I hope your little one starts sleeping better at night too.

spritesoright Wed 26-Feb-14 05:19:45

Hi Madallie, Feb 13th here, 2:45am. Lovely to have them but the exhaustion is killing me. I keep wondering when she will figure out the difference between night and day.
Congratulations on your Valentines baby, that's lovely.

Madallie Thu 27-Feb-14 20:57:10

I know, it is exhausting but they're just so gorgeous and precious that it makes it so worth it. Enjoy all the newborn cuddles.

DearTeddyRobinson Thu 27-Feb-14 21:04:06

I wouldn't worry about the newborn, just make the most of those cuddles! You could try sleep training DC1, now is the time when you need to rely on at least one of them sleeping through I would have thought?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now