Talk

Advanced search

Managing the sleep cycle transition

(7 Posts)
Solasum Fri 21-Feb-14 21:10:47

DS is 8wo and for the last week or so we have been doing a routine of bath bed cuddle sleep. I stay with him after he falls asleep for a few minutes, leaving the light on, which then is turned off when we go to bed too. Generally speaking he falls asleep quite fast, by 7.30. He then wakes up again after half an hour or so and screams. It makes no difference to the volume if he is alone in the room ir not. Once he starts screaming it is very hard to calm him down, picking up does not usually make much difference. It takes him about 20 mins to calm down, znd he coos and grunts away for a while before falling asleep. Once he is asleep though when he wakes in the night to feed he goes straight back down again.

Does anyone have any advice for managing the wake up? I am no expert, but google seems to suggest it is transitioning from one sort of sleep to another that is the problem. Is this something that he will just eventually grow into being able to do for himself, or can he be helped along?

Thank you

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Sat 22-Feb-14 13:19:26

Marking my place having the same problem, sigh sad Hoping someone comes along to give you the answer.......

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Sat 22-Feb-14 13:21:31

PS was reading jo tantum method 'spaced soothing' but haven't had the energy to try it yet!

LindsayS79 Sat 22-Feb-14 20:34:00

My 7 month old has done this from about 4 months. The only thing that works for me is popping a dummy in... I take it out after 5 mins though. It just calms her and she zones out, back to sleep!
Don't get me wrong, it's got to the point where, some nights, she'll just have a moan and I just leave her to settle herself. But if she's crying, I know I need the dummy!!!

Expectans Sat 22-Feb-14 21:16:47

I have been reading 'The sensational baby sleep plan' which does not seem to even mention waking after the initial going to sleep, apart from 12 hours later, which all 8 week olds should be able to do. Apparently. Clearly I am missing a trick or twelve.

Hamnvik Sat 22-Feb-14 21:33:12

Sorry to say my 11 month old still does this and has for months, as far as I can work out it's because he has wind. Could that be a possibility?

mrsspagbol Sat 22-Feb-14 22:13:32

My DD did/does this if she has wind too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now