Talk

Advanced search

Nap struggles in 16 week old

(3 Posts)
TiredandGrumpy2014 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:23:05

Hi all - my first ever Mumsnet post so please bear with me if I get any of the acronyms wrong!

I'm really struggling to get my 16 week old DD to nap in her cot. She is generally fine at night - has a BF and then self settles to sleep around 7 - 7.30. She generally wakes either once or twice at night for a feed and settles quickly to sleep again afterwards. She seems to 'get' sleep at night. So far so good!

But nap times during the day are completely different. At first I used to put her in the sling, pram or rock her to get her to nap, but I feel now she ought to be napping in the cot - and it would help me get a bit more done during the day too. I watch out for the sleep signs and then put her in the cot for a nap - the first one usually about 1 and a half hours after she first gets up. She then tends to start crying straight away, and then continues to cry until I pick her up. I've spoken to my HV who agreed I shouldn't be letting her sleep on me any more and suggested shh-patting - this just seems to aggravate her more! So I pick her up, calm her down and then put her back in the cot - but each time I do this she gets more wound up and screams louder, as soon as she is put down.

I've tried sshh-pat, staying with her, leaving her for a few minutes, looking at her, not looking at her, music, silence, white noise, curtains open, curtains closed! Nothing seems to work! I can still get her to sleep in the sling or rocking her but feel every time I do this I am giving in, and teaching her that if she protests enough I'll let her sleep on me.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and what did you do?

CountingSleep Sun 23-Feb-14 16:08:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

keepitgoing Sun 23-Feb-14 16:38:31

15 weeks here and the same (except usually 2-3 night wakings...). over the last week dd has slept in the pram or carseat after I've rocked her off. I put her wrapped up warm in the garden with white noise, I think she likes to be cold but toasty iyswim. I am hoping over time I can reduce/stop the rocking as previously she needed to be moving. I still sling her for the last nap, have her on me for the morning one so am taking it slowly.

she hardly ever naps for more than 30-40 minutes though, esp if not on me. I wish she'd do longer... can't wait for fewer naps to be needed tbh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now