Talk

Advanced search

9 week old awake for two hours in the night

(10 Posts)
harry78 Fri 21-Feb-14 10:02:40

Hi all. My nine week old is going to sleep about 10pm and waking sometime between 2am and 4am which is fine. Problem is once he is awake he is awake for about 2 hours. I am feeding him (tried both breast and bottle) but he is fussy and clingy and won't settle. Eventually he does and then sleeps until about 7am / 8am. Any tips for making this wake time a bit shorter and getting him to settle? Thanks in advance!

Mamasinstinct Fri 21-Feb-14 10:24:56

I do remember this phase and that it only lasted a couple of weeks - how long has it been going on for? I think I just rode it out and set myself up with a few magazines and low lighting in bed while my baby just looked around the room! Then tried to nap with her during the day. I have read that the problem this time of year is that there isn't a clear distinction between day and night, with artificial lighting in out homes. So maybe try to get out into any daylight you can find (in-between the rain!) and keep it dark in the evenings...

harry78 Fri 21-Feb-14 10:52:38

Hi Mama it's been about a week now so maybe it is just a phase...

Mamasinstinct Fri 21-Feb-14 13:38:57

Sounds like it to me :-)

Chacha23 Fri 21-Feb-14 17:15:00

hi, the same thing happened to me, and it also went away on its own fairly quickly without me doing anything.

I wonder if taking your baby outside in the sunlight would help to set his clock right, and make him understand that night is night?

harry78 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:57:01

We try and go out and about every day either in the car or a walk. I think he knows it's night because he hardly naps at all in the day. He's a slow feeder at the best of times but added to this is the crankiness, like he is fighting sleep

Chacha23 Sat 22-Feb-14 09:15:14

if he doesn't nap much in the day, maybe he's cranky and fighting sleep because he's sleep-deprived? maybe you could try having him nap more in the day, see if it helps? (they do still need so much sleep at this age!)

I think that 8-11 weeks were the worse times for us with this issue, dd would wake up 2-3 times a night, and it was like she was waking up from a nap in the day, she would be awake and active for 2 hours before falling back to sleep. And then it went away on its own around 12 weeks. I hope it works out this way for you too.

harry78 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:45:40

I definitely need to encourage more naps in the day, he naps very little. How often do you think little ones this age need to nap in the day?

Chacha23 Sun 23-Feb-14 11:26:26

hmm I'm really no expert, but I'd say about 5-6 hours? he may not be able to sleep for very long yet, so it may have to be a bunch of short naps.

one thing I wish i'd understood sooner, is that babies should really really not stay awake for very long. Around 10 weeks my dd started getting overtired and cranky after about 90 minutes of awake time. Once I understood that and helped her go to sleep, she became so much happier.

if you have trouble having him nap in the day, did you try wearing him in a sling? worked like a miracle for me.

harry78 Sun 23-Feb-14 13:43:15

Hmm yeh but he doesn't like the caboo I bought :0(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now