Talk

Advanced search

14wo nap regression?

(3 Posts)
Babytalkobsession Sat 15-Feb-14 18:17:36

Help! My 14wo DS seems to have taken a backwards step with his naps and its making him (and me) miserable.

Up until a couple of days ago I would hold him on my chest, jig about and shhh for 5 minutes or so until he drifted off, then put him down in his carrycot. He'd then sleep for 45-60min. I'd just do this as soon as he looked tired and has been working since about 4/5 weeks.

Now I can get him to sleep but as soon as I put him down he wakes. I've tried leaving a few mins to see if he'll settle, tried rocking for longer, tried picking him up for another shhh/pat. Nothing works. He just escalates to full crying. He then ends up massively overtired and grumpy or wide awake again.

He's never been able to sleep in a swing, bouncer or even on me (as soon as I stop jigging & sit down he wakes!) Got a good nap into him today in the sling but he's 15.5lb so find it hard going to do for every nap.

He has had a cold, could that effect? Or could this be regression a bit early? Any other ideas? His nights are ok once he's down. Usually sleeps 9-1 then wakes at 4 & 7. Feeds & straight back to sleep without any rocking!

Any help / ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Twinsplusonesurprise Sat 15-Feb-14 23:35:52

Plod on. Sounds normal to me. It could be combination of his cold and his age. My DS did the same. Hideous for about 2 weeks then we got tough and did a couple of days leaving him to cry for. 2 mins to let him re- learn to self settle. It was hard but he is amazing now, 20weeks, and goes for every nap and bedtime completely awake and nods off on his own with zero fuss. (Bet I've jinxed it now!)

Babytalkobsession Sun 16-Feb-14 20:09:24

Thanks Twins, and sorry for delayed reply. It's really reassuring to hear that it gets better, it's just frustrating when you know a crap nap day will likely cause a crap night. Will keep persevering! Today was better but naps were in pram / carrier, still no luck getting him in his actual bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now