Talk

Advanced search

Please give me hope?

(4 Posts)
Jaffakake Fri 14-Feb-14 19:55:54

We took the side off ds cot last Saturday. The first few nights were fine. Now, all of a sudden, the last 2 nights, he's been refusing to lie down & basically will play games, with his soft toys etc in his room. Nothing we do will help settle him. Last night he was clearly overtired & we resorted to using some antihistamine to get him to calm down & nod off. This is something I really don't want to get into doing although the lady over the road admitted doing it every night for two years & her kids just fine & normal!.

I think some of its a coincidence as very rarely in his cot would he not go straight to sleep.

I know I've been lucky with his desire to go to sleep over the years, but I'm clueless as to how to handle this & what to expect. Is he just enjoying his new found freedom? Is this more likely to happen as he gets older? Should we drop his midday sleep?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

ZingSweetApple Fri 14-Feb-14 20:16:56

how old is he?

I'd avoid giving antihistamine or any other medication without doctor's advice.

Jaffakake Fri 14-Feb-14 20:20:34

Sorry he's 2.5. I know, I'm not here to get flamed for that. I need advice so I don't resort to it.

ToffeeWhirl Fri 14-Feb-14 20:24:14

Jaffa - no flaming here. DH and I did the same sometimes. We once had to go three nights without any sleep at all and were desperate. We thought DS1 had an allergy and gave him Piriton - he slept, at last, and so did we. Took him to the dr the next day and he said no, no allergy - but give him the Piriton again tonight because you all need the sleep!

Maybe you should just put the cot side back on for the moment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now