Talk

Advanced search

What time should a 2 - 3 Month old go to bed?

(19 Posts)
Hotmad Fri 14-Feb-14 17:25:23

My baby is changing her sleeping patterns and I'm unsure what's the norm if at all

BrianTheMole Fri 14-Feb-14 17:27:16

7pm. Start as you mean to go on.

StepfauxWife Fri 14-Feb-14 17:29:06

I introduced a bedtime routine starting at 7pm. Bath, massage, feed, bed. DD is 7 months now and goes down like a dream at night. Day ones however are an entirely different story..

MyNameIsKenAdams Fri 14-Feb-14 17:30:23

7pm. Nice bath, milk then swaddled and down in the basket. We were doibg this from day one and DD has always slept 7-11pm, no matter what else happens.

Albaalba Fri 14-Feb-14 17:31:50

Both mine went to bed at about 10pm for the first 9 months or so, then got earlier to a 7.30pm start. Both have also slept through the night from about 6-8 weeks and go to sleep on their own - if it ain't broke I'm not going to try fixing it.

Thurlow Fri 14-Feb-14 17:33:02

Whenever they want to!

However at around 2mo DD started to be unsettled downstairs with us in the evenings after about 8pm so we started putting her upstairs to bed and doing the bathtime thing beforehand too.

MinesAPintOfTea Fri 14-Feb-14 17:37:44

Ds went to bed at about 9pm at tart age, then even if he had a bad night he's sleep until a decent hour and if out was a good night he'd sleep until about 8-9am. He goes to bed just after 7 now at20 months.

princessalbert Fri 14-Feb-14 17:40:34

From about 5 or 6 weeks we had got into a routine - 7pm bedtime. No later.

I am not one for keeping DC up on an evening -it's adult time.

DS went to bed at 7pm until he was about 9yo actually. He likes his sleep smile

(now 16yo and is prowling around upstairs until midnight....)

RoganJosh Fri 14-Feb-14 17:43:56

Eldest went at 9.30pm, younger two between 7&8.

Tiredemma Fri 14-Feb-14 17:45:23

DD ( 6 months) has gone to bed at 7 since about 3 weeks

SomethingkindaOod Fri 14-Feb-14 17:46:27

Around 7 is ideal. I didn't do this the first time round, I was pretty clueless about getting DS into a routine and it bit me on the arse for ages, he would regularly take until 10/11 o'clock at night to settle down, by which time we were fit for nothing! His sisters both settled early and slept much better. In fact Dd2 has just had her bedtime put back to 8pm (2yo) and she sleeps through until 7am. I'm almost convinced that it's mostly down to a stricter routine at bedtime.

Artandco Fri 14-Feb-14 17:53:53

When you do. Why before? They shouldn't be apart from you sleeping at that age due to SIDS. Most babies wake up for feeds anyway.

So we have bed around 11pm for adults. Feed last thing before and by 12 ish weeks they would sleep through until 6am, have a feed then sleep again until 8am. Never been a problem with routine, and they eventually around 8-9 months fell into a 9pm-9am routine. As adults we much prefer lie ins to getting them to bed early

threeleftfeet Fri 14-Feb-14 18:02:21

Whenever suits you and her. The "norm" is cultural and 7pm is a peculiarly British thing. Please, feel free to ignore it completely if it doesn't suit you!

I let both DS and DD fall into their own routine. Both ended up going to bed about 9/10pm. That suits me fine as they slept to a decent hour in the morning. I'm not a morning person and I see no point in forcing my DCs into bed at 7am if they're then going to get me up at 5!

10month old DD currently goes to bed at about 9:30-10pm, sleeps through (she sometimes wakes for a feed, but we co-sleep so neither of us wake up much. As often as not, she doesn't wake for feeding these days). She wakes with DS and I for breakfast and the school run, then falls asleep when I return home, and has a nap for 1.5-2hrs so I have time to get on with stuff first thing. This is great as far as I'm concerned. She's had this paatern since she was really little.

When I only had one baby (DS) if I wanted to go somewhere in the evening (like visiting friends) I simply took him with me, in a sling or buggy. I can't afford a babysitter / nanny / au pair, and had I not done this I would have been trapped in the house after 6:30pm. DS came with me where I went, and slept on me or in the buggy when he needed to.

When he dropped his second nap in the daytime, he started sleeping earlier in the evening, about 9:00pm. Now he's at school he goes to bed at 7:30pm. There was no problem with adjusting.

I'm not saying you should have a later bedtime, but if it suits you and your baby to go to bed later, nothing wrong with this. It might also mean you partner gets to spend more time with them in the evening, and you too when / if you go back go work.

I started working when DS was 14 months. I didn't get back from work till 6pm, I'm really glad he wasn't in bed by 7pm, I would have hardly seen him.

threeleftfeet Fri 14-Feb-14 18:18:10

Artandco good point, babies are meant to sleep in the same room as you till 6 months dure to the SIDS risk aren't they?

DD has all naps in the cot in the front room, including when she goes down for the night. Then when I go to bed I take her up with me. Works well for us.

eisbaer Fri 14-Feb-14 18:32:00

Yes what do you mean by go to bed? In their cot/basket upstairs? 2-3 mths are they not still faffing about cluster feeding/colicking etc? If you put a EBF baby "to bed" before and away from you at that age, then tell me exactly how that works! I'm on DS4(6wks) and can't envisage how it'll change, I just know it does at some pt, but not for a while yet, I'd have imagined?

Hotmad Fri 14-Feb-14 18:58:49

I meant what time do they sleep In the evening/night
And the sleep is consistent apart from waking to feed.
My Dd was sleeping at 7 (Im same room as me,I'm fact usually on me!) now she is resisting naps In day and napping at 4 to 6 which then delays her bed time

threeleftfeet Fri 14-Feb-14 19:29:41

Sounds perfectly normal to me smile honestly.

threeleftfeet Fri 14-Feb-14 19:31:25

Oops a stray "honestly" there! Was going to write more but must do bedtime! Back later smile

neversleepagain Fri 14-Feb-14 19:40:32

We started a routine early on. At 2/3 months they were being put to bed at 7pm in their cots upstairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now