Talk

Advanced search

In need for help & advice

(2 Posts)
soskq Fri 14-Feb-14 15:10:11

Hello. I have a 6 month old who at one point started to be a good sleeper for 2 weeks (7-7) but since then things have gotten worse.

She is 6 months and we have moved her out of our room into her own and into a cot and it's just getting worse every day.

She is generally content, has started on solids and taken those very well. She naps 2-3 hours during the day, sometimes without a fight, but other times it's as bad as it is at night.

We have a solid routine, culminating in bath, breast, massage, book before bed at 7pm.

She will sometimes sleep OK for 3 hours bar a few trips to settle, but then it's a routine of crying every 10mins-20mins, picking her up and settling for 30 mins then putting her down. Half the time she settles pretty much as soon as she is picked up, but either way, on putting her down she cries or will cry 10 mins later.

It's back to being like a newborn and I just don't understand why.

She is well fed, has a relaxing routine, the room is warm (have tried warmer and cooler, no difference) we've tried feeding her but that doesn't work.

We have also tried the pupd method but that just seems to be making everything worse. We continue to try though.

We are so tired, and being up every 10 mins is going to make us all ill. I just have no idea what to do.

CityDweller Sun 16-Feb-14 22:24:54

I think there's a 6 month sleep regression. I think it coincides with the developmental leap that happens that age - lots of brain stuff going on, plus many babies are beginning to get more physically independent (crawling?) - it's hard for them to switch off.

DD had a terrible sleep regression at 4 months (well, 3.5 months - 5.5 months). I just did what it took to get through it, which for us meant learning to feed lying down/ co-sleeping after her first or second wake-up of the night. By 8.5 months old she was sleeping 7-7 (roughly), in her own cot in her own room

It's interesting you say things got worse when you moved her to her own room. Perhaps she wasn't ready and still needs a bit of night parenting? Does she settle and stay asleep if you lie down with her? If so, would co-sleeping for a while be something that would work for you? Might be worth considering to get you through this patch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now