Talk

Advanced search

Unsettled sleeping

(15 Posts)
Babyb2013 Mon 10-Feb-14 17:47:34

Can anyone help me with our situation; our daughter is 10 weeks old and has had a bedtime routine for about 3 weeks, which is working well. She sleeps fine from around 7.30, 8.00pm and has a dream feed at 10.30. After her dream feed she will be heavily sleeping for around an hour and then after that really unsettled. We can hear her straining and throwing her legs about like she is uncomfortable. The odd time we hear her pass wind but I think that's what she is trying to get out. It's disturbing her sleep and she has slept through till. 6, but we have to get out and keep putting her dummy in, as she moves and strains and looses it. We feel like it's stopping her sleeping through because she is unsettled. This goes on every half an hour.Tried baby massage and that helps a little but not much. She pulls her legs up and shuffles about. Has anyone experienced this? Is it worth trying a comfort milk?

Rockchick1984 Tue 11-Feb-14 07:39:05

It doesn't sound like you're winding her enough after the dream feed, how much wind do you get her to bring up after it?

Babyb2013 Tue 11-Feb-14 08:34:59

Yes we always wind for at least 15 mins after dream feed but nothing comes up. During the day she winds, but can be uncomfortable hours after and bring some more up. We keep her upright for around half an hour to try and help. Doctor gave us gaviscon but reluctant to use as a lot of people have commented that their babies became constipated. She also mentioned comfort milk. But on the box (using aptimal first at moment) for comfort it states for colic and constipation, she goes once a day or every other, and it says wind, well she doesn't have enough! Thinking of calling HV but last time I spoke to them just said when she gets to 3 months she will grow out of it.

Rockchick1984 Tue 11-Feb-14 08:50:21

Have you tried infacol? Always helped my DS bring his wind up, it's a cumulative effect though so need to use it every feed for it to make a difference.

Hotmad Tue 11-Feb-14 09:42:11

Colief drops are expensive but work really well for wind I've found, apparently you can get them on prescription but it's up to the GP. I haven't tried yet.... Might be worth buying a bottle and seeing if that helps

Babyb2013 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:01:03

Yes we've tried infacol, gripe water and colief we have them time to work but saw no improvement gripe water wasn't too bad but she started squirming on the bottle, and arching her back but when I try and wind get she cries because she wants more. She does wind pretty well.
Would I be ok to drop the dream feed? Not been doing it very long but she only takes 2oz on average. I honestly don't know what to do the doctor and health visitor said all babies struggle with wind and wait until she gets to 12 weeks. When I have looked on here I think her symptoms look like silent reflux. I'm so confused! confused

NickyEds Tue 11-Feb-14 16:09:12

The same thing is happening to me. 7 week old DS goes to sleep on me and then when in his moses starts straining, thrashing and crying out. Is she awake? DS is asleep when this starts then wakes himself up. I thought of trying comfort milk and colief but if it was the type of milk wouldn't DS uncomfortable all day too?- Also DS is mix fed so that might not beit. Sorry I''m not much use but just as stuck as you! You mention straining- does is sound like trying to do a poo? DS does but he's definately not constipated.

Babyb2013 Tue 11-Feb-14 16:40:12

Yes she's asleep when she does it, yes sounds like trying to poo! I keep thinking it's trapped wind but I don't know. She starts doing it, then her arms go up, she starts running her face and starts waking herself up, if we get to her in time and put her dummy in she carries on sleeping. But u don't think she is in a deep sleep.

Babyb2013 Tue 11-Feb-14 16:41:06

No she's not constipated, she only goes once a day or every other but not constipated poo. She did go more when I breast fed her.

NickyEds Tue 11-Feb-14 17:15:52

Sounds exactly the same as DS- I'm having to check his nails all of the time -last night he scratched himself doing this in his sleep. The wafting his arms around batting his face also knocks his dummy out.
Crazy little baby thing they'll grow out of???

Babyb2013 Tue 11-Feb-14 17:35:38

Yeah i think so! She used to hit herself in the face all the time, it's just the rubbing now so I guess they grow out of it. Think I'm going to give aptimal comfort a go? What you think? It's so hard to decide what to do for them isn't it!

NickyEds Tue 11-Feb-14 21:28:49

Impossible! I still feel a bit like I'm going to break him. Comfort milk might be worth a go- I don't think it can do any harm- my HV did recommend it. DS really unsettled already tonight -it feels like it's going to be a long one. I'm mix feeding him and he's only really settling on the boob- I'm going to wind him for a bloody hour!

Babyb2013 Tue 11-Feb-14 23:23:29

Oh hope it's not too bad for you! Did your health visitor recommend it for the trapped wind? She's just had her dream feed and has burped quite well but I know it will all be the same again later.
It must just be more comforting for him when he feeds from you. My daughter was like that when i breast fed, unfortunately I had an infection and she became really distressed feeding and I couldn't do it any longer. Did a month. She was more content on formula but had always suffered with this a little bit. I used infacol whilst breast feeding and didn't really work and then again after. They say after 3 months they can grow out of it... Got a feeling Ellie won't be doing that! I will let you know haha! Good luck tonight!

NickyEds Wed 12-Feb-14 09:36:37

Same again last night -like sharing a room with a pissed off pig!!! HV recommended it for general tummy problems but because he's ok in the day I never bothered. I didn't realise that the effects of infacol were cumulative -I only really use it in the evening- I think I'll go to every feed and see if it helps. Read something about baby hernia so now I'm freaking myself out about that!!!

Gerty1002 Wed 12-Feb-14 13:57:59

I had this exact problem with my DS at this age, I was shattered!

Not sure if it was coincidence that he just grew out of it but things vastly improved when we took his dummy away. We were sick of having to replace it constantly so we went cold turkey and though it was tough for a few days his sleep vastly improved after that.

He's just had it back for a few days due to a bad virus and teething, and the same happened again so I do think the dummy was giving him more wind. Going cold turkey again from today.

Worth a try? We tried comfort milk but DS ended up pooing 10 times a day, and it didn't help at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now