Talk

Advanced search

crawling round the cot!

(4 Posts)
grainmum Mon 10-Feb-14 11:05:35

DS is 8 months and started crawling last week. He's been a tummy sleeper since 4m. Now whenever I put him down in bed he wants to get up on all fours and crawl around/sit up. I have previously been patting his back and singing to get him to go to sleep but I'd like to reduce that too.

So should I keep lying him down or walk away and leave him to it?

Littlebagoflaughter Mon 10-Feb-14 13:42:15

I've just encountered this issue too. DS has been crawling for a month but hadn't figured out how to roll over from his back which was really handy! He has just figured it out and now instead of going to sleep for his nap he is standing up in his cot playing with the night light which is attached to his cot. He normally self settles so I'm not sure what to do, if I'm in the room he won't go to sleep at all. I'm listening to him on the baby monitor so if he goes to sleep I'll let you know.

Littlebagoflaughter Mon 10-Feb-14 14:40:51

After 45mins he started to get upset so I ended up feeding him and putting him down very, very drowsy. I bet he only sleeps for 30mins....Lying him down just seemed to make him cross. I think this is often just a phase so I would stick with your back patting and singing (assuming it still works) until he's stopped feeling the need to crawl and then try and reduce it. I used to pat ds's back and found it easy to reduce it until he self-settled, mainly because I think he was ready to fall asleep by himself.

grainmum Mon 10-Feb-14 15:40:03

Hi, thanks for your reply. I suppose we just have to hope the novelty wears off soon. meantime I need to make sure that I do reduce the patting and hope that he does learn to self-settle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now