Talk

Advanced search

33 month old boy (almost 3 y/o) - sleep advice please

(3 Posts)
haribo79 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:45:08

Hi there, my little boy climbed out of his cot about 3 weeks ago and up until then we had a very good nights sleep. We are currently living with my in-laws until we buy our house and they a double bed in the room in which he used to sleep quite happily before the climb for freedom!We tried to keep him in his cot bed with the sides off and he wasn't happy so we have let him sleep in the double bed. The problem is he will not stay in his bed. We have put a bumper thing on the side to stop him falling out as he moves about a lot during the night. We have purchased a gro clock and told him the story about how he is only to get up when the sun comes out. He wants us to sleep in with him. Sometimes that is ok but he moves about so much you don't get much sleep. So we creep back to our bed to sleep and in he comes although we take him back each time. It is hard to stay strong when you have put him back 2-3 times a night and we end up just getting into his bed. We are reluctant to try the controlled crying but feel like it is worth a shot as we have a baby coming in the next few weeks and feel it will be easier if he is over the worst of it before baby number 2 arrives. Tonight after reading about toddlers and sleeping arrangements I can see we are not alone but if anyone can offer any support or advice please do. Tonight we tried to distance ourselves and say we will come back and check which kept him in the room at least. A huge difference from the first night when we had to put him back what felt like a hundred times. I'm hoping it will take a few months but not years. Any reassurance on this? Thanks for reading my grumbles.

Rockchick1984 Mon 10-Feb-14 14:46:14

We put ab stairgate on DS's bedroom door so he couldn't just mooch around or come downstairs, but we never left him to cry as I'm fairly sure he would have ripped the room apart and it worked fine within a week.

haribo79 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:51:04

Thank you. He got better just woke once and came through but now going to try stair gate. I'll let you know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now