Talk

Advanced search

A question for anyone who cosleeps...

(9 Posts)
Aliwithtwins Thu 06-Feb-14 20:32:40

Hi, I'm still co sleeping with my two year old twins. Is this too old to be co sleeping? Any advice on transitioning to something else? Thanks for any help or advice!

Spottybra Thu 06-Feb-14 20:37:47

Five nights out of seven my two year old and four year old creep in at some point although they start off in their own beds. It'll stop when they don't need me do much.

CareBearWithFangs Thu 06-Feb-14 20:39:54

My two year old also starts off in her own bed and then one of us ends up in with her at some point or she'll come with us. I just keep telling myself I'll miss it when she's a teenager.

onlyfortonight Thu 06-Feb-14 20:40:50

It depends whether you are getting any sleep and want to spend any time alone with your DP. We coslept until over DDs were about 2, and then made a big fuss making up a new bedroom- redecorated, new bed and lots if praise for being big girls. Our girls weren't twins, there is 3 years between them, but they prefer to sleep together and they now share a double bed. Perhaps, if you have room, you could get them to sleep together in 'a big bed like mummy and daddy'?

Good luck, you will miss them for a while, but it is great to get your own space back.

Theincidental Thu 06-Feb-14 20:41:25

The short answer is what ever works for you is fine. My three year old still scuttles into my bed if he wakes after a bad dream and he's given half a chance.

He has a stair gate in his bedroom and a very consistent bedtime routine of pyjamas, two stories, cuddle then bed and rarely deviates from it.

I can imagine this is more tricky with twins, but as Ds has got bigger he understands the rules more. He knows now if he wiggles and fidgets that he goes straight back to his own bed.

Gradual retreat and the no cry sleep solution really helped me, so might be worth a look.

NewJobNewLife Thu 06-Feb-14 20:46:06

I still cosleep with my twins and they're 3 and a bit years old smile

It works for us for now, particularly as I work FT, so sleepy cuddles keep me going through the week.

We are in the process of sorting out the nursery for them though, so then they'll have the choice of their room or ours (they currently have a choice of their cots in our room or our bed).

Basically, do whatever works for your family. If they start asking for their own room/bed then I think it'd be wrong to make them cosleep, but while they're happy I would do what works for you smile

HSMMaCM Thu 06-Feb-14 20:48:33

My 14 yr old still comes in with me until DH comes upstairs. As long as you're all happy and you all get enough sleep, don't worry.

Aliwithtwins Thu 06-Feb-14 20:51:18

Thanks so much for all your replies! It's good to know there are others out there in a similar boat. Part of the problem is that it works so well. They go to sleep really easily, then sleep until 8.30/9am. I love my half asleep night time cuddles, and love knowing they're safe and warm. I also know none of my friends are doing this and family members think we're a bit mad....

AmberSpyglass Thu 06-Feb-14 20:58:08

If you're happy with it that's all that matter. 2.5yo DD sleeps with me and I love it. No need for a hot water bottle :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now