Talk

Advanced search

4 month old waking every hour at night :'(

(21 Posts)
SuzeLaws2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 15:47:54

Hello lovely mummies out there!!! I'm new to this but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how they helped there LO's to sleep better?

My son Edward is 4 months old on the 8th Feb, only a few days away and he has never slept longer than 3 hours from birth till now sad but just recently for the past few weeks some nights he wakes every single hour!!! I am exclusively breastfeeding as the little monkey refuses to take the bottle, which has been lovely as out bond is beautiful but only I can feed him. Edward usually feeds to sleep like most babies, however recently he has been pulling away from the breast & has been rocked to sleep. But like I said some nights he wakes every hour & was wondering if anyone else had the same issue at this stage? I have read that Sleep Regreesion is most likely the cause but Edward has never slept longer then 3 hours in the first place and now I am absolutely exhausted, suffering slightly with depression because of it.

My partner feels horrendous as he can't help with the feeds as Edward will not take the bottle, anyone else have this problem with breastfeeding? I'd love Edward to take a formula feed before bed just as another option to see if it will keep him fuller for longer?! As when he wakes at night I have to feed him to sleep, then he'll wake the next hour, feed to sleep or sometimes fully wake at 1am & 4am like last night sad sorry for the long feed Ladies but can anyone else relate? I always leave an app on for him which is white noise as it definitely helps him nod off, he sleeps in his cot with a 2.5 tog sleep bag as our house isn't very warm... HELP!

Saucia Tue 04-Feb-14 15:52:02

Will he take a dummy? Just to reassure you sleep regression only lasted a couple of weeks with us so he might be back to 3hourly soon if nothing better!

lanbro Tue 04-Feb-14 15:58:06

All babies are different I'm afraid. I'm not sure you can make them sleep but I have been lucky in having two that have slept through from an early age so here's what I do. Eldest was always fed to sleep so I resolved not to do that with second. Dd2 is 20wks and has been sleeping through 11-6 at 11wks but now goes 8-7. I ebf and she won't take a bottle either. She cluster feeds early evening but around 8 I change her nappy so she's awake then put her down with white noise. She takes herself off to sleep and has only once woken through the night since 11wks.

We don't have a nap routine through the day, I just let her sleep whenever she needs it. I think it's a bit of a myth that a bottle of formula before bed will aid sleep. Like I said all babies are different, I think it's a lot of trial and error until you find what works for you. Good luck!

lanbro Tue 04-Feb-14 15:59:26

Oh and she wouldn't take a dummy but does suck her thumb which is obviously her comfort!

SuzeLaws2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:18:46

Edward won't take a dummy either, I'm not overly fussed about that as I'd probably have to keep plugging it back in when he spits it out lol! Would be nice to have the option to try to give him formula but I think he just can't stand the feel or taste of plastic lol can't blame him really when he's been used to skin from day one. I'm hoping he's coming out of the regression now, he went through the 16 week growth spurt which was a total killer!!! I don't have a routine through the day as it depends on his sleep the night before lol like today he's just sleeping pretty much as he has such little last night... Hoping he isn't sleeping too much so as tonight he will sleep a few hours atleast lol!

His bed time routine however is 6:30 bath, feed to sleep then into his cot by 7pm. He usually then wakes every 2-3 hours for either comfort or feeds. Seems to work as he will sleep for the first few hours till 10ish then it just goes down hill, it's always been like that with him lol poor little thing, he seems happy enough but is fairly grizzly. He has started to suck his thumb but hasn't got the hang of self soothing with it yet, I guess that's all too come when he's 6 months.

Does anyone else rock there babies to sleep in the pushchair during the day in the house? My HV just advised me on doing this as Edward will go to sleep when I'm out with him... Guess it's worth a try as he'll slowly get used to not being fed to sleep or rocked in my arms, hopefully won't then depend on the push chair lol trial and error ey!

Saucia Tue 04-Feb-14 16:24:09

When he wakes in the night is he wide awake or does he go straight back? Mine slept much better wheb I pushed her bedtime back a couple of hours, she was waking up wide awake in the middle of the night so I gave her a nap at about 5/6 then didnt do bedtime until 8/9 and she sleeps much better.

hillsy27 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:25:44

You could try using a different shaped bottle. My midwife explained that for some babies the bottles that try to mimic the breast are useless as the baby needs to suck differently when sucking from a bottle. I use Dr Browns bottles which I have found very good and also help prevent wind. Good luck and remember it won't last forever !

SuzeLaws2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:27:11

He usually goes straight back to sleep then rises at 6am obv waking every 2-3 hours for either a suckle or comfort, sometimes he cries I pick him up and he falls instantly to sleep the moment I've picked him up lol but recently he's been waking fully at 3-4am... I could try one night pushing it back, I did try putting him down at 8pm the other night but was no different sad I could try again though!

Saucia Tue 04-Feb-14 16:28:53

what happens if you dont pick him up? maybe let him grumble for 5mins and see if he goes back off without being picked up

hillsy27 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:29:25

Another thought is your bedroom quiet at night? Because our house ostensibly so noisey during the day my lo doesn't like it when it is so quiet at night and won't sleep. we now leave the tv on when we put him down and he now sleeps really well !

SuzeLaws2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:31:46

Ahhh I did buy 3 different makes Tommee Tippee, NUK & Dr Browns, he actually took 4oz twice from the Dr Browns of Expressed Breastmilk but then refused after two bottles sad I got my hopes up and everything lol!

Cakebaker35 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:39:02

I exclusively bf'd my dd and was lucky she was a great sleeper - except when teething she woke every 1hr or so and would suck a bit for comfort more than anything. Could your son be teething? It's not always obvious and can happen at a young age, so could be something to think about? Might be worth a dose of calpol one night and if he sleeps for longer it may be because the discomfort has been eased.

SuzeLaws2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:41:09

Really appreciate all your advice ladies!!! If I leave him when he initially wakes he goes into a full blown cry and fully wakes lol I've tried seeing what happens if I don't tend too him but it's not the best outcome sad also his white noise app is on all night, I'll start to use a timer with it when we move in a few weeks as we love literally opposite train tracks & some hurtle passed that quick it shakes our apartment! Could be the train waking him but they do stop going past after 1am lol he doesn't like it when it's totally silent, I'm sure he relys on noise for some reassurance smile

SuzeLaws2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:43:59

Thank you cake baker I'll give that one a try!!! Since he was 9 weeks old he's always had his hands in his mouth & constantly dribbling... I did think teething but my doctor said no way as he is too young even now apparently?!

Worth a try though with the calpol :D

Cakebaker35 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:51:08

OP sorry but your doc is wrong! Some babies are born with teeth and teething can begin at any age, even if nothing visible in the gums there can be movement beneath them causing discomfort. Dribbling and fist in mouth are classic signs! X

SuzeLaws2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:57:50

I thought so too! I can even see two white 'lumps' on his bottom gums at the front... But stupidly took Docs advise that Edward is just exploring with his hands in his mouth :\ I'll give him some calpol & see how the night goes... Fingers crossed! Edward also knaws the heck out of his tethers as well, that and my fingers lol he's got a right strong hold with his mouth!

SuzeLaws2014 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:59:04

Thank you again! Xx

Cakebaker35 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:04:42

Good luck suze sounds like definite teething to me! X

cakebaby Wed 05-Feb-14 11:09:38

suze come and join us on the 4 month sleep regression support thread. You'll find lots of similar stories there and shared experiences. And the occasional moan!

nibbysmum Wed 05-Feb-14 11:39:56

I feel for you because my 4 month old is having a regression too. He goes down fine but wakes after 2 hrs which I'm fine with as it's still only 9pm. He then does another 4 before waking every 40 minutes. He's not hungry ..seems to just want to be held. His day naps are all over place. It's so hard to get him to sleep that often by the time I've acheived it its later than his 'normal' routine. So I'm shattered cos I just can't catch up. Feeling low about it too as this has gone on from 14 weeks (although it's on and off..He does have good nights). I'm probably not very helpful as I really don't know how to help my son sleep but I think sometimes it makes you feel better to know your not alone...and your defo not. We lack support which is hard as there is no one to lean on when your tired out. Do you have anyone who can take babe for a few hours between feeds so you can rest?

SnottyNoses1 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:40:53

My first baby refused to take a bottle as well at that age. I was desperate to get him to sleep more, or rather me and thought that expressing was the answer. He had other ideas. In the end I was really glad that I stuck at breastfeeding.
I know your HV told you to rock him to sleep, but many people would advise not doing that as he might become dependent on you doing it to fall asleep. Equally with him being asleep when you put him down. If he can go to sleep by himself, i.e. not needing to be rocked, or anything then when he stirs at night, he should be able to go back to sleep by himself. (Although he might shout about it for a bit.)
It's not easy putting your baby down awake and listening to them cry, but it might help in the long run. (Also, I guess it depends on how long he cries for, 2 minutes seems like an eternity when it's your baby.)
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now