Talk

Advanced search

12 month sleep issues…WHY?

(3 Posts)
indigogirl66 Sun 02-Feb-14 11:12:23

Up until just before Christmas, lo would maybe wake at 2 am, then definitely around 4 or 5am. At the 2am waking, she would settle with a cuddle for a minute then straight back in the cot. The second waking she was still bf either in her room then straight back into cot, or in bed with us if it was later, so as to ensure we all made it to 7am!

Then suddenly, she stopped being soothed by anything - not even the boob. It was taking a long time to rock her and settle her down, and then as soon as I put her back in the cot she's wide awake and screaming again. At the same time, she stopped accepting nap times in her cot - I have to push her out in the pram. At first, I put it all down to it being the xmas holidays - change of routine, excitement etc. Then it got worse a couple of weeks ago and she would be awake, screaming for about 2 hours. After the fourth night of this, she then SLEPT THROUGH - which I put down to exhaustion from the previous few nights. She's since slept through twice more, but on the other nights she is wild.

I thought maybe she was getting annoyed at me going in, so I tried leaving her a bit longer than usual, but she escalated and then took longer to settle. I tried going in at the first peep before she had chance to really wake - no joy. I don't know if it's time to night wean? Even bringing her into our bed doesn't help. We generally go with gentle parenting approaches, but I've tried all sorts and am at a loss - does anybody have any idea WHY this might be happening? Developmentally, she has been walking for a few months, so it's not that. She's doesn't seems to be in pain with teething at all.

TIA x

lookout Wed 05-Feb-14 08:21:37

It's been a few days since you posted, any better? I'm afraid I don't have any idea why she might be doing this, but it might be a good time to consist teaching her to self soothe. It sounds like she's relying on you a lot of the time to get her to sleep. There are lots of solutions out there, google a bit to see which suits you. Fwiw, we night weaned at that age as ds2 was up multiple times a night and was only fed to sleep. We did a sort of kinder version of cc, going in every ten mins to reassure, and it only took two nights. There are plenty of options that might suit you better though. Good luck smile

lookout Wed 05-Feb-14 08:22:18

*consider

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now