Talk

Advanced search

Merino sleepwear/ sleeping bags- worth the money, or am I just clutching at straws??!

(7 Posts)
em0000 Tue 05-Nov-13 18:13:24

Hello
I'm thinking about investing in a merino sleeping bag or maybe a couple of sleepsuits, in the hope that they will miraculously cause my baby to sleep well....! But before I take out a second mortgage to pay for them, has anyone had any experience of using them? Do all the claims about temperature regulation actually bear out in practice? Our house is pretty cold at night in winter. The sleeping bags say 0-2 years so would probably be better value than sleepsuits, which she'd grow out of fairly quickly...
Any advice or opinions gratefully received!

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 05-Nov-13 18:20:52

They wear a sleepsuit under the sleeping bag so you wouldn't save there, but it does work out cheaper than buying a new sleeping bag every 6 months. We have 2 for DS and they do seem to work, his body temperature remains constant. They're very roomy so he can crawl around in it, which may not be a good thing. They hold their value so you can always sell them on later.

CityDweller Tue 05-Nov-13 18:26:28

I bought a couple on the logic that it was actually more cost-effective than having to buy different tog and different size ones. I got one from Bambino Merino and one from Merino Kids. They seem to keep her nice and toasty at night (she currently has a short-sleeved vest and sleepsuit underneath), but we also have the thermostat set to keep her room at a not-too cold temp.

They didn't make any difference to how well/ badly my DD sleeps though!

em0000 Tue 05-Nov-13 20:31:55

Thanks- do you prefer the bambino merino or the merino kids, citydweller? Or much of a muchness?
She crawls around in her current bag, and I can't see anything stopping that, but a bit of toasty warmth would be good. I currently have a few second hand 2.5tog bags which seem to differ widely in how thick they seem...

Suchanamateur Tue 05-Nov-13 21:35:21

Am with previous posters- good value for money after initial outlay (we're now on second child in same two bags), but unfortunately no miracle sleep cure. They'd cost even more if they did that! My money's on bambino merino - and they have the odd deal.

CityDweller Wed 06-Nov-13 18:49:52

I like the shape of the Merino Kids ones slightly better - they're more fitted around the chest. But they're ever so slightly more awkward to zip up. But, really, they're much of a muchness.

CityDweller Wed 07-Jan-15 21:53:56

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update, and also amend my previous comment, it in case anyone was looking for reviews of merino sleeping bags and comparing the two main ones available - Merino Kids and Bambino Merino.

We bought one of each and after using them for nearly two years, I'd definitely recommend Bambino Merino over Merino Kids. The Bambino Merino ones are larger, so last longer. DD (who's average height and weight for her age) grew out of the Merino Kids one at 18months, but the Bambino Merino one will last her until she's at least 2, if not older.

I also think the Bambino Merino ones are better quality. We've treated both bags the same way, but the Merino Kids one developed a couple of holes in the lining. I got in touch with MK and they suggested it was due to the way we washed them, which may be true. But, after 2 year of washing and wearing, the Bambino one still feels nice and warm and snuggly, whereas the Kids one feels thinner and also has the two holes, meaning I'll need to get it repaired if we want to use it for future DC.

Hope that helps anyone who's trying to decide between the two!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now