Talk

Advanced search

how to stop 9 month old waking so early

(9 Posts)
chocohead Sat 03-Jun-06 08:00:14

My dd has never been the best sleeper but recently has been waking at 4.45am aswell as waking 1-3 times in the night. When she wakes in the night i go and lay her back down a few times and eventually she goes to sleep but at 4.45 she is having none of it. Although she wants to back to bed an hour later

Yesterday she fed back to sleep for 1/2 hour, but don't want to start that again. This morning she went downstairs with dp played for an hour then went back to bed.

I have not got any idea how to deal with this. Have tried darkening the room but this hasn't made any difference.

Please help xx

FloatingOnTheMed Sat 03-Jun-06 08:10:18

How old is she?

And how do you get her to sleep in the first place?

chocohead Sat 03-Jun-06 08:13:11

She is 9 months, she has bath, story then bf by then she is half asleep and put her in her cot she is usually asleep within 10 mins

FloatingOnTheMed Sat 03-Jun-06 08:23:30

Do you think she associates falling asleep with bf? ie too sleepy when you first put her down. It might be that she is waking up in the night because she is assocating feeding with sleep - although i think you're saying she goes back to sleep without a feed when she wakes in the night normally?

FWIW though, some babies are early morning wakers & it's v difficult to get them back off to sleep. (my dd was waking up at 5-5:30am for quite a while and i just had to put up with it!) From what I've read, it's the hardest kind of sleep problem to solve. What times are her naps? Apparently if they have a nap fairly early in the morning it might just be that that causes the early morning waking, so that just needs to be gradually pushed to later in the morning. (I always found that v difficult cos i was crap myself first thing in the morning, was easier to fall asleep feeding her in bed!)

Piggiesmum Sat 03-Jun-06 08:24:26

Sorry no advice but we are going through something similar.

Ds (8 months) waking at 5am and deciding to play (loudly) for up to an hour despite still being tired (rubbing eyes etc).

We've tried just leaving him to it and hoping he'll drift of to sleep but he wriggles around in his cot and gets himself stuck in awkward positions and needs rescuing, so that doesn't work.

FloatingOnTheMed Sat 03-Jun-06 08:29:10

I used a book called "Solving Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Dr Richard Ferber.

chocohead Sat 03-Jun-06 08:36:04

Yes in the night she just goes off by herself (i stopped the nightfeeds a couple of months ago). She usaully naps about 9am for 30 mins then again about 1400 for an hour

I don't think she is getting enough sleep at all.

What nap times/bedtimes have yours got? or did they have ?

chocohead Sat 03-Jun-06 08:39:59

I used that book to stop the nightfeeds maybe i was a bit to quick to put it away, will dig it out again (and keep it out this time)

FloatingOnTheMed Sat 03-Jun-06 09:53:07

I can't remember what he reckoned a reasonable morning naptime would be (and of course every baby's different) but i think prob later than 9am. And you say your dd wants to go to sleep an hour after that early wakening? maybe if you are putting her back to sleep then, you need to keep her awake longer or something?

What I liked about that book is that it was all done gradually & not harshly, pushing the times back by 15 mins at a time, and going in every 5 mins at first when using cc & gradually increasing the time. So, still following your child's pattern but manipulating it gradually to make it more manageable for you.

My dd didn't have any proper naptimes in the day, i could never get her down in her cot in the day because our schedule was pretty spontaneous, so she got naps on buses, in pushchair or sling etc etc.
But in the mornings, she would be sleeping/feeding at about 8am i think iirc. far too early but as i said, i just couldn't get my act together in the mornings to do anything about it! Eventually her early mornings just gradually got later & later as she got older.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: