Talk

Advanced search

Dummy desperation

(9 Posts)
Mafiti Fri 14-Jun-13 17:17:11

My 4.5 mo has been "sleeping" from 7pm through to about 4-5am for pretty much a month now. "Hoorah!" you'd think, but for the last three weeks she's been waking up after every sleep cycle and she cant self settle. The only thing that gets her to sleep is the dummy so I'm having to wake up every hour to pop the dummy back in her mouth. I'm knackered. At least when she needed feeding more often she would sleep for 3 or 4 hours in one chunk! I was going to try and wean her off the dummy but gave up very quickly - the gentle method suggested in the no cry sleep solution just didn't work and the other day I tried not giving her the dummy but staying with her, patting, shushing etc. she got extremely upset and after 45 minutes I gave her the dummy back. I don't want to let her cry.

She was also getting really good at napping during the day, doing a really long nap in the mornings but now she only does that if I hover over her at the 45-minute mark to pop the dummy back in before she wakes fully. When she just does several shorter naps she's super grumpy.

I'm hoping very very very much that things will get better once she has enough co-ordination to put the dummy back in herself. If I'm lucky she'll learn in the next month and I'll sew dummies onto each corner of her Cuski so she can always find one but her hand/arm skills ain't looking that encouraging at the mo...

I can accept that she needs a dummy (prefer that to a thumb) and that she's not able to self settle, but why is she suddenly waking up so often when she used to be ok for a few hours at a time???

Can anyone reassure me? Please tell me this is a phase! I'm more tired now than when she was newborn. sad

jenniuol Fri 14-Jun-13 20:17:09

I've got absolutely no help to offer but hoping someone else does because I'm in exactly the same situation! DS is 16 weeks and in the last few weeks I've been up and down sometimes 10 or 15 times a night putting his dummy in.

We also tried to gently wean him off it with disastrous results, he just moaned then cried for more than 2 hours even though i was comforting him before I had to relent and gave him a dummy and he was out like a light! I'm actually at my wits end, I don't know when I last got more than 90 mins of sleep at once!

plummyjam Fri 14-Jun-13 21:05:28

Could she be hungry?

Mafiti Fri 14-Jun-13 22:38:11

I'm entirely confident it's not hunger. She won't accept the dummy when she is.

CoolaSchmoola Fri 14-Jun-13 22:55:50

Try going up a size or changing dummy brand. Dummies that are too small or the wrong shape for your babies mouth tend to fall out. The right size / shape should stay in much better.

I swear by Mam Perfect, not cheap but worth every penny.

Mafiti Sat 15-Jun-13 19:26:14

Well, I guess we'd need to get the next size up soon anyway so it's worth a try! Thanks, Coola.

littlemissblue Sun 16-Jun-13 21:56:01

Try this - it was a life saver for us as ds had same problem of losing his dummy in the night - he got the hang of his bunny really quickly!!

http://www.sleepytot.com

Mafiti Thu 20-Jun-13 21:03:51

How old was he, littlemissblue? We've got a cuski which does nothing for DD at all but I'm thinking of sewing dummies to its "arms and legs" and effectively making my own sleepy tot. She hasn't quite got the hang of her hands yet though...

ShesADreamer Thu 20-Jun-13 21:08:28

Google 4 month sleep regression.

Depressing reading but at least you know it's a necessary and beneficial phase!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now