Talk

Advanced search

really fed up with this.... just want to moan about it!!

(12 Posts)
poppiesinaline Mon 29-May-06 13:06:59

SLEEP CHILD SLEEP!! Ah, will it ever end!?

DS2 wakes more or less every night at least once, normally 2-3 times, either just cries for a while, or wakes and 'chats' and plays for up to 2 hours.

He is in his own room. I rarely go into him - not since doing controlled crying about 2 months ago which has helped enormously. We are all knackered - except DS2 of course who is full of the joys of spring!!! bounding along - endless energy - while we all drag along behind him....

DD was a even worse sleeper so I know I shouldnt be moaning but I AM SO TIRED!!!!

there - feel much better now - thanks for listening

Rhubarb Mon 29-May-06 13:14:35

What time do you put him to bed? What time you do get him up? Does he sleep during the day? How old is he? What does he eat before bedtime?

poppiesinaline Mon 29-May-06 13:17:29

Goes to bed 7 pm. Gets up 6.30/7 am. Naps 11 am - 12.30 pm

has a bottle before he goes to bed.

what he has for tea differs every day.

why? what you thinking? Any magic cures for me?

poppiesinaline Mon 29-May-06 13:17:43

oh and he's 13 months

PinkTulips Mon 29-May-06 13:18:05

just a thought but have you tried going in, tucking him up and saying night night (or whatever phrase you use) and walking back out as soon as he starts to wake? thats what i do with dd to keep her settled and it works like a charm, she just snuggles straight back down and goes to sleep, if i didn't go in she wouldn't re-settle.

sorry your having such a rough time, hope it settles down soon, theres nothing worse than the exhaustion {{{hugs}}}

poppiesinaline Mon 29-May-06 13:20:27

yep, tried that! Did it stop her waking completely though? I hate disturbed sleep!

Rhubarb Mon 29-May-06 13:22:54

Cut down the afternoon nap 11.30am - 12.30pm, don't let him have any little naps after this.

Don't give him anything to eat or drink an hour before bedtime.

Have a calming bedtime routine that you must stick to every day. Like wash/bath, putting on pj's, singing a song, story, bed.

Make sure that his cot has no stimulating toys in it.

Get some blackout blinds for the windows.

When he wakes up, go in, tell him it's bedtime, cover him and go out. Do this every 15 mins, say the same things, do the same things so that he knows what are you going to do every time.

Is he getting enough stimulation during the day? Does he mix with other toddlers? Get plenty of exercise?

poppiesinaline Mon 29-May-06 13:28:30

cut down on nap???? But thats when I catch up on my rest!!! [groaning emoticon] . Tbh, I have tried this, but what happened was that he became very grumpy and kept falling asleep later in the day, normally on the school run, which is impossible to keep him awake on if he is tired.

He is very busy during the day. He is a 3rd child and we are normally very busy. I am very good at the bedtime routine.

Got blackout blinds.

Does have toys in cot so will take those out.

thanks for suggestions.

Rhubarb Mon 29-May-06 13:36:45

I know what you mean, I loathed having to cut down ds's nap too! But it worked with him! He started to fall asleep late in the afternoon too, but I kept him awake and after a few days he got into it. You can do it gradually, 15mins off this week, 15mins next week.

He needs plenty of stimulation and exercise during the day to get him nice and tired!

poppiesinaline Mon 29-May-06 13:42:54

ah havent tried cutting down on naps gradually. will try that. thanks

PinkTulips Mon 29-May-06 17:56:50

dd wakes about once or twice before i go to bed looking for her dummy and we do what i said earlier, in and out, but oddly enough she doesn't wake once i've gone to bed, not til about 6-8 in the morning so i get a full nights sleep, not as long as in my pre-baby days but far better than before the sleep training!

plummymummy Mon 29-May-06 19:24:32

ds used to wake 2 or 3 times a night until 3 weeks ago (he's 23 mo). Why did he stop? I have no bloody idea at all but by eck it's great!! We tried everything. I think in our case it was a developmental thing, he got to this age and started to feel secure enough on his own to go to sleep again after waking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: