Talk

Advanced search

Refusal to Nap - please help

(13 Posts)
clothears Thu 25-May-06 21:52:12

Hello there, this is my first converstation in almost 2 years. My dd is now 15 months old and is a star but she refuses to Nap during the day. She is tired by 10.30am and will only sleep in the car. This is in contrast to her night time habits, when she settles herself to sleep without any effort and sleeps through. I feel desperate that I dont know what to do and it seems ridiculous to keep taking her out in the car to have her nap (I end up sleeping in the driving seat on the side of the road with her some days!).
ALso, she wakes in the morning screaming her head off and I also have no idea how to deal with this...........really hope someone can help

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 21:53:46

as a baby, i dropped ALL daytime sleep at 14 months.

i'm afraid some babies are just like that.

you could try taking her walkies to see if she zeds in her buggy, but other than that, it's time to get her to start entertaining herself and getting on w/things.

heavenis Thu 25-May-06 21:58:59

What time does your dd go to bed and what times does she get up.
Have you tried taking her for a walk in her pram,to see if the fresh air gets her off to sleep.
Would she sit with you and have rest time, not neccesarly to sleep maybe read a book.
What time in the morning does she wake is it the same time each morning.If so maybe you could sit with her as she wakes up.

clothears Thu 25-May-06 22:10:03

wow, thanks so much for responding so quickly! Well she is asleep by 7.30 pm and has taken to waking between 5.45 and 6.30 (this used to be 7am) and i dont understand why she wakes up screaming so insistently. she will sleep in her buggy sometimes if she is really tired. I was hoping to get to a stage where I could say to her, ok nap time and take her to her cot (if we are at home) and she would settle herself like she does at night. She has toys in her cot for morning play but is now ignoring them despite new surprise toys being strategically placed. I have tried ignoring her screams but after 45mins cannot stand to torture her anymore. thanks for replying.

cod Thu 25-May-06 22:10:59

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 22:12:18

this is where it starts to get tougher w/regards to parenting.

what time is she going to bed?

dd1 goes at 8, but now wakes at about 6.30. she doesn't nap all day, either.

she's nearly 3 and it's tough getting things done w/her sometimes.

cod Thu 25-May-06 22:12:22

Message withdrawn

jamiesam Thu 25-May-06 22:16:55

My ds1 went through very similar phase around the same age. I never worked out what the phase was about, but always tried to insist that he have a least some nap or quiet time in his bedroom. He grew out of not napping after maybe two months -and then went on to have long lunchtime naps until he was over 4.

clothears Thu 25-May-06 22:19:18

that sounds like a good idea cod, thanks. I may try that. She does have black out blinds in her room and she is generally a very bubbly child by nature. So no-one thinks i should let her scream herslf to sleep for a daytime nap then?? She isnt walking yet and so I wondered if thats why she refuses to nap sometimes, she just isnt quite tired enough. Maybe I should just not worry about it. It makes for a harder life when they are tired tho eh?? .

jamiesam Thu 25-May-06 22:26:08

My HV (sorry, but she is very nice!) warned me that as ds1 was settling very well at night, I shouldn't make settling during the day a battleground. So I wouldn't leave your dd to scream though.

If it's any help, I did the driving around thing - worked a treat for ds1. Sadly however, as soon as I pulled over so I could have a nap too, ds2 would wake up - 22 months younger, he was a motion sensor from day one and HATED it when the car stopped!

clothears Thu 25-May-06 22:33:21

jamiesam, i take your words to heart and i suddenly feel very lucky. How on earth do you get rest if you need it during the day?!! In which case, Im lucky and should stop moaning. I think your right about not leaving her to sream in the day, I dont want her to hate being in her room. I have been pondering over getting her a toddler bed so that she can climb ou and play with her toys in the morning - any thoughts?? Is she too young? She can climb off the settee and beds without a problem at all and I can get a guard to stop her falling out but I wasnt sure about whether to introduce this as a solution to her morning screams....

jamiesam Thu 25-May-06 22:41:13

I have two confirmed non-climbers! Took sides off ds1's cot bed when he was just over three! He never got out of bed on his own - ever! Even now (nearly 5) when he wakes up in the morning, he doesn't get up and play with his toys, just calls until dh or I go and get him! Lazy s*d! So can't advise - sure someone else will be along soon.

cod Fri 26-May-06 13:10:47

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: