Talk

Advanced search

Swaddling

(10 Posts)
TotallyEggFlipped Thu 23-May-13 13:55:56

I tried swaddling with DD & never really got it figured out. DC2 is due in July & I thought I'd give it another go. I saw some swaddle wraps with Velcro which look a bit more idiot proof, but wondered if anyone could advise me please? I feel completely clueless.

woodsies1975 Thu 23-May-13 13:59:24

I never liked the ready made swaddle blankets and they seemed really expensive too. I had a cotton flat sheet for the crib which did the job just fine and stayed nice and secure. If you google "aussie swaddle" you'll find step by step picture instructions for how to do an old fashioned swaddle using a normal sheet or blanket.

Thurlow Thu 23-May-13 14:06:46

I loved the velcro swaddles. I used the SwaddleMe's, but I think the Miracle Blankets are similar. No thinking required, very easy to get baby in to and quite hard for them to get out of. I also liked the fact that if they do get out of the swaddle, there isn't a lot of material which they could then possibly roll into. I think you can get one for about £10 (definitely about that price for the Summer SwaddleMe), which will last a few days if your baby likes it, enough time for you to order a second one.

AutumnMadness Fri 24-May-13 14:06:08

There is an easy way to swaddle a baby in an absolutely escape-proof manner using just normal blankets/muslins. Take two items: 1) the actual main swaddling material that you are using (blanket, large muslin), and 2) a regular small muslin. Spread out blanket number 1 in front of yourself, diamond-shape, with the upper corner folded down about 15 cm. Then put the small muslin on top of big blanket in exactly the same shape - also diamond-shape, with the upper corner folded down. Make sure that the folded down hems of both items are lined up (so the small muslin should be sitting on the upper part of the big blanket).

Then take a baby and place him/her on the small muslin in a way so the babies neck is on the corner fold-down line. Then take one side corner of the muslin, wrap it around a baby's arm and tuck it under babies back. Do the same thing with the other muslin corner and baby arm. Now your baby is in a straight jacket that he will not escape from (sounds horrible, but parents of babies who constantly wake up in the night after having escaped from the swaddle will understand me). Then proceed to wrap the baby in the big blanket however you wish.

TotallyEggFlipped Mon 27-May-13 16:42:48

Thanks. I really think we need the Velcro, no-thinking required type. I'll have a look at the SwaddleMe & the Miracle blankets.

ItsallisnowaFeegle Mon 27-May-13 17:01:43

I have Miracle Blanket for DS and I loved it, he hated being swaddled however. confused

I love the idea of the 2 muslins, and I reckon I could achieve that but I think if someone had suggested that before I 'knew' how to swaddle, I'd be more inclined to seek out the Miracle or similar.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Mon 27-May-13 17:19:08

We used the miracle blanket with our son, until he got too big/strong. We've now moved to the swaddle strap (buy online from the us). It's great because it takes seconds to put on, and you can change them in it!

ItsallisnowaFeegle Mon 27-May-13 19:01:16

Ooooh! Looks great! Swaddle Strap on ebay

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Tue 28-May-13 09:18:00

There is truly no escape!

EmpireBiscuit Tue 28-May-13 09:21:02

I used a swaddleme blanket and the following night DS slept through for the first time (and continues to do so 8 weeks later) - not sure if it was a coincidence or not. I picked mine up at Argos and now gift them to everyone who has a baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now