Talk

Advanced search

14 week old crying on night waking - is this normal?

(6 Posts)
plummyjam Thu 23-May-13 10:07:38

Would appreciate others experiences about whether this is normal behaviour. DD is 14 weeks old and EBF. Until 2 weeks ago her sleep pattern was fairly predictable - asleep for the night by 9.30pm, would get in a 3-5 hour stretch then wake every 2 hours for a feed until getting up properly at 7.30am.

In the last couple of weeks her sleep pattern has changed. She now falls asleep at about 8.30 - 9.30 but will wake after only 2-3 hours and then wakes every 1-2 hours during the night. Her sleep is very unsettled after the first stretch, lots of wriggling and flailing.

The biggest difference now is that she is starting to cry when she wakes up. She doesn't always want a feed when she wakes either. Previously I would know she needed feeding because she would rustle around in her moses basket, and would never actually wake up for feeds IYSWIM.

I suspect it's probably a growth spurt or the early 4 month sleep regression but I wasn't sure if the crying on waking was a normal part of this or whether I should be considering colic or reflux? She is a bit refluxy and sleeps the first bit of the night in her cot (propped up on bricks), co-sleeping with me after that.

plummyjam Thu 23-May-13 10:09:49

Should mention that she has become more unsettled during the day - gets bored very easily and niggly (but not crying with colic pains). She's fine when we're out and about looking at stuff to keep her interested.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 23-May-13 10:16:03

Marking place my 16 week old is the same

emstats Thu 23-May-13 21:59:01

could it be something to do with their 'type' of sleep changing around this age? Apparently they start sleeping more like adults alternating between deep and light sleep through out the night and initially can find it a bit distressing as they don't mean to wake up and don't know how to get back to sleep!

sar1133 Fri 24-May-13 03:14:06

I'm in the same boat apart from he has never slept for a 5 hour block! His wind is unsettling him more and I'm just getting exhausted. He doesn't seem to nap for as long in the day so don't get a rest then. My son is 10 weeks old but was prem 7 weeks so never sure what his sleep should be!

Wiggy29 Fri 24-May-13 21:37:53

My ds always woke crying but settled after feeding. Maybe mention it to your hv but sounds like a growth spurt to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now