Talk

Advanced search

Introducing a comforter - what's best?

(9 Posts)
em0000 Tue 21-May-13 20:01:15

DD is 15 weeks and I'm getting to the point where I'd like her to start going to sleep on her own. I'm thinking of getting her used to a comforter but I'm not sure what would be best to use. Something easily replaceable seems a good idea, and I've heard people recommend a muslin square, but I'm worried she'd try to stuff it all in her mouth, or wind it round her neck. Am I being over-anxious? Or is it too early for her to have something in bed with her for naps and nighttime? I'd be interested what other people use and when you started to introduce it. Thanks!

Judyandherdreamofhorses Tue 21-May-13 20:12:31

My DS decided on muslin squares for himself at about 2 weeks. He holds one while sucking his thumb. He has particular favourites at home, but is always on the lookout for other babies to mug for their muslins (he's 10 months now). When he grabs one, he cuddles it and sucks his thumb, looking adorable. Easy and cheap - I'm planning on cutting some into smaller squares soon and hemming them, so he doesn't drag a full size one round with him.

He's a crap sleeper though. Dread to think what he'd be like without the muslins and thumb!

Judyandherdreamofhorses Tue 21-May-13 20:13:10

Oh, he doesn't go to sleep on his own, even with a comforter! But worth a try...

RandomMess Tue 21-May-13 20:15:16

Go to mothercare and choose one of their suitable from birth washable soft toys, buy 2, use them on strict rotation!

heidihole Tue 21-May-13 20:16:58

I would highly highly recommend a Cuski

www.cuski.co.uk/index.php

Totally replacable (DS has 5 of them!) and the only comfortor used by the NHS in the maternity wards. Utterly breathable (you can hold it over your nose and mouth and still breath normally, i've tried it!)

This is the age I introduced cuski to my DS and he now at 12 months goes out like a light as soon as he gets into bed with cuski. Hands down best purchase we've made!

breatheslowly Tue 21-May-13 20:19:17

Muslin all the way. Washable, replaceable and generally very difficult to harm yourself with. She would find stuffing it all in her mouth unpleasant and stop. Quite hard to get round get neck. DD once was asleep with one completely over her face and it didn't seem to be a problem. DD's muzzle was great for taking to nursery, but I am unconvinced that it helped her to self settle, that took over a year.

Shybairns Tue 21-May-13 20:25:51

My DS(6) still has muslins as his comfortor. Though he re-named them as Atts when he was just learning to talk. I used to tie them in a knot when he was little. Just incase he did wriggle and flip about so much in bed that they were wrapped around him.

You have to keep giving them the comfortor and putting it in their hands when ever you want them to try to sleep or at times when comfort is needed for other reasons untill it becomes a habbit for them to fall asleep with the comforter.

Thurlow Tue 21-May-13 20:30:04

We bought two big fleece blankets and then cut them down to the size of a normal comforter like one of these and edged them. This means we have 8 identical comforters, so we never lose it grin It's small enough for her to cuddle without being able to completely cover her face. I'm sure one day she'll figure out a difference between them, but after a year she hasn't yet.

She really likes it and on unhappy ill/teething days she will carry it around, and sleeps with it tucked underneath her. It's been great for us.

em0000 Sun 26-May-13 19:06:07

Thanks everyone- I'll keep going with the comforter idea and hope dd catches on sometime... Self settling seems a long way off but I'll try anything that might help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now