Talk

Advanced search

Swaddling a summer time newborn

(8 Posts)
gertrudestein Tue 21-May-13 09:32:51

I'm expecting my first baby in a few weeks, and have been recommended swaddling. I bought the Grobag swaddle but my flat gets very warm so am worried that this might be too hot.

I also have some very large muslins which I thought could work, but am not sure whether these will be as effective.

I know summer may never actually come in the UK but when it's hot, my flat is like a sauna!

Does anyone have any experience of this, and what would you recommend?

OryxCrake Tue 21-May-13 09:39:51

It was many years ago but we were living in a very warm flat when my first baby was born and I swaddled him in a flat cotton pram sheet (it was flanelette I think).

It worked really well. He found it comforting and didn't overheat.

Congrats and good luck (let's hope we get a little bit of summer!)

gertrudestein Tue 21-May-13 09:49:23

thanks Oryx, that sounds like a very practical plan!

AutumnMadness Tue 21-May-13 20:01:50

Check these out - http://www.piccalilly.co.uk/products?category=muslin-swaddles.

I had one of these. It was extremely thin.

BonaDea Thu 23-May-13 02:31:34

The v large muslins (try the aiden and anais ones) would be perfect.

We also used a merino kids one at first. Merino wool is supposed to be a 'keeps you warm in winter, cool in summer' fabric but not sure how cool. Check out their website as they have tons of info.

mrssprout Thu 23-May-13 03:30:08

Having swaddled babies in Australian heat I would say muslin wraps. Before I found them my first baby was wrapped in my very old, quite thin beach sarong. It did the job until I found the muslin wraps at a baby shop.

FeelingHorse Thu 23-May-13 05:36:52

My flat also gets very warm in summer so am concerned about this too.
We just invested in a Swaddle Me Summer, it has a ventilation hole in the back. My flat has been reaching 22 degrees plus some evenings and my DS has been very comfortable- I'm sure as it gets warmer then he will continue to stay cool in it.

It also has Velcro panels, which means my 8wo can't bust his way out of it (which he could do with the gro Swaddle, it was pretty useless IMO)

gertrudestein Thu 23-May-13 16:17:34

great advice, thank you. I have some large muslins so will start with them, and then maybe progress to something more wriggle proof as he gets older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now