Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling back pain sufferers - What mattress do you have/would recommend?

(5 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 19-May-13 16:04:09

I don't want a memory foam one, as both DH and I get overly hot at night as it is, especially being in the loft which is rather insulated.

Do you have pocket sprung? Or a proper 'orthopaedic' one? How do I know what to get, as I don't necessarily want to be lured into this whole 'ortho' stuff at a cost if I can get something that works for half the price.

My current mattress is now in desperate need of replacement you see, so I am on the hunt for a new one!

scampidoodle Sun 19-May-13 19:19:27

We went for a pocket sprung one with a high number of springs (I think that's what the number referred to - it was 2500 I think) and with a memory foam layer on top. There's some sort of cover on the memory foam which makes it breathable and stops you getting too hot, apparently.

I think a lot of the orthapaedic mattresses are very firm and I found that I needed a slightly softer mattress. I found the best way to see if they were comfy was to lie on them then see if I could get up in a "normal" way, rather than moving very gingerly as I was having to do on the old mattress!

I also found that getting a bigger bed has helped (after sleeping in one on holiday) where I don't have to restrict the way I lie or move in bed. Probably not a very helpful suggestion, I realise!

PavlovtheCat Sun 19-May-13 19:29:03

scampi no you're right about the bed size - we are upgrading the lot, bed, mattress (duvet! yey! new linen!) so, not unhelpful at all I didn't know about the springs, so that's good to know.

Thank you smile

scampidoodle Mon 20-May-13 11:40:40

Just make sure you can get the bed into your bedroom - DH had to cut out half the door frame and manoeuvre (sp?) the bed in from the living room where the delivery men dumped it after failing to get it through the interior doorways!

I didn't find the new bed instantly comfortable once we'd got it installed and panicked that we'd spent a fortune on something (at my insistence) that wasn't going to help, but after a few weeks I'd got used to it and it really helps with my back now, so don't worry if it doesn't help immediately.

PavlovtheCat Mon 20-May-13 12:10:08

oh shite! that's a really good point about the bed not fitting shock our room is in the loft, with twisty turny stairs and a tight turn at the top...the bed, we will probably buy flatpack then. But, wonder if we can get the mattress through? We have a double now, moving up to king. I guess, worse case scenario, we swap rooms with the children, which we have considered in the past. Main reason we haven't is that when DD was up in the loft we hardly went up there apart from bedtimes and it was hard to keep clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now