Talk

Advanced search

3 year old waking and calling out through the night

(5 Posts)
samehaircutfortwentyyears Sun 19-May-13 08:05:59

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to help my ds sleep through the night. He sleeps ok for the first half of the night but then wakes at say 11,3,4,5,5.30,6....... Each time he calls out for different things like 'tuck me in' 'I need a wee wee' 'I need a poo poo'.'I have lost my teddies' . I have tried reward charts with extra special stickers, gro clock, giving him more or less teddies to have in bed, giving him more attention during the day, blackout curtains and blinds....

He has a bedtime routine and falls asleep straight away just after 7pm. He is very active during the day as I don't drive so gets lots of exercise. He doesn't nap any more except for maybe once a week to catch up if he has had a busy week.

I also have a 10 month old who wakes about 8 times a night but they both sleep through each other so it seems I am always awake with one of them.

Any advice or am I destined to never sleep again till they are both teenagers?

SisterMatic Sun 19-May-13 13:26:06

Has something unsettled him? He probably knows he doesn't need tucking in or more teddies..he just wants you there.
I totally understand what you are going through, my eldest dc is very similar in age to your son and she has started having disrupted sleep. I found she was unsettled due to the new baby and that coupled with night terrors meant that some nights were pretty grim in our house.
could he be having bad dreams?

samehaircutfortwentyyears Sun 19-May-13 19:27:35

I think a lot of it is just to get attention. I have tried to offer more 1.1 time during the day eg take him swimming but he's not bothered. I have talked to him and he says he just wants to see me, which is all well and good but I can't keep doing it all night! I think another thing is he knows we will come to him quickly because I don't want him to wake his baby sister.

samehaircutfortwentyyears Sun 19-May-13 19:29:43

I don't think he is having bad dreams. He went through a phase of what I thought was night terrors and then it was like he was still asleep when I went in and moaning etc. With this he is very much awake.

ninilin Wed 22-May-13 20:37:27

Hi we have the same problem with our 2.10 year old son. What I tried was
reassuring him BEFORE he went to bed helped, too.
We would tell him that it was OK (as in: "it happens to everyone once in a while") to wake up and he wouldn`t have to worry. We stressed how cosy his warm bed was and I spent more time with him before and during bedtime, some extra cuddles. It helped to that extend that he sometimes sleeps through again and some nights he only wakes once. We are hoping now that this phase will pass soon smile
GOOD LUCK!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now