Talk

Advanced search

Normal sleep pattern for 9 weeks??

(8 Posts)
louisoscar Thu 16-May-13 16:23:29

Dd is 9 weeks today and her sleep patterns seem a bit strange for such a young baby. In worried she doesn't get enough restful sleep during the day as she only naps for between 20/40 mins. Sometimes she will have a random long nap with no encouragement from me for 2/3 hrs but mainly we have short and frustrating catnaps. They occur at fairly predictable intervals but it can take her some time to fall asleep. We have tried various ways of getting her to sleep: wearing her in the sling with white noise from kitchen fan to tip her over into sleep, ride in the buggy; much less successful as she cries a lot and will only drop off with the recent addition of white noise in an app on my phone otherwise very distressed. We have also tried putting her down sleepy but awake in her cot but she either wakes up immediately or after the aforementioned 20 mins.

Conversely, at night she is doing pretty well. She is asleep between 8 and 9 after bf to sleep on my bed then transferring to Moses basket. She will sleep between 4 and 6 hrs then a couple more chunks of between 2-3 hours and up around 8 or 9 next morning.

Are these short naps normal? Are they doing her damage not resting enough during the day? I spend a lot of time worrying about them and an also aware that I am creating several props which will need to be weaned eventually.

Any opinions welcomed

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-May-13 17:14:03

Don't worry about props, what the baby books forget to tell you is that most babies grow out if them by themselves anyway. Most adults also have a routine which signals sleep, like going to the toilet, cleaning your teeth etc. routines and props are a normal part of life and not something to worry about at such a young age.

One thing you haven't mentioned is what happens if you feed her in the day, does that send her to sleep?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-May-13 17:18:59

You might like this book, sounds like it might help smile

fluffymindy Thu 16-May-13 17:19:32

Stop worrying, it sounds fine.

Littleturkish Thu 16-May-13 17:22:00

I honestly wouldn't worry- my 10 week old does what you describe and seems very happy. If she naps/doesn't nap I just go with it. I go about my day and fit in play time with her and read to her, and if she sleeps, great, if she doesn't, great. I've not noticed a difference in her hours at night (unless she's had a particularly eventful day) and she generally falls asleep between 7-8 and wakes at 4, which I try to stretch for as long as poss, sometimes managing it to go to 5. Hoping I can move 4am feed to 5am and then 6am etc but this may just be wishful thinking!!

Londonmrss Thu 16-May-13 18:03:18

some babies are just cat nappers unfortunately! mine has never napped for more than 20-45 minutes and she's now 28 weeks! Shouldn't make any difference developmentally although it is frustrating and difficult to get anything done for you.

louisoscar Thu 16-May-13 18:36:14

JJJ I will check out that book but think books may be where I'm going wrong; according to the books I've read she should be sleeping 6 hours during the day so falling well short! This is partly what has stressed me out tbh. When I feed her in the day she sometimes falls asleep but doesn't stay that way. Generally though I think she feeds pretty well and is putting in weight etc.

Littleturkish I wish I could be a bit more like you!! I think that is the answer to just go with the flow! Sounds like your lo is doing great. I know (or hope) her naps will get longer eventually as my ds was just the same and ended up being a great sleeper.

As for props, that is very reassuring. I had decided that by 12 weeks I would start weaning her off some of these methods and aim for a more consistent routine. Ds started sucking his thumb at 12 weeks and was then able to self settle so hoping dd will be the same!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-May-13 19:18:47

Think it depends on the books you read! smile. Lots if books out there are just one persons opinion and not backed up with any research. Babycalming is written by a BFC and is evidence based. I read it before having dc2 and really wish I'd read it before having dc1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now