Talk

Advanced search

why am i such an utter failure at helping my babies sleep.

(9 Posts)
StateofConfusion Thu 16-May-13 13:17:40

with the exception of pfb who apparently was some kind of perfect being.

dd2 is now 21weeks and i feel like a total failure unless i push her to exhaustion we have heartbreaking sobbing before naps and even then she will only nap in her carseat or Pram and is rocked off she then will have 2hrs +

at night she will eventually fall asleep on me after a feed around 11pm she sleeps on/next to me all night with the odd feed until 8/9am.

my middle child was the same and it took four years actually she was better i could put her down.

im totally against cio so im screwed and have no idea what to do as she just sobs and sobs every single time even if im holding her patting and rocking.

anyone else been there and have a gentle way of moving her toward a cot, i have it sidecar to my bed.

ENSMUM Thu 16-May-13 15:41:25

No help to you, sorry, but I wonder the same thing. DD was a pretty rubbish sleeper, DS is worse. Good night if I get some 2 hour chunks of sleep and he's nearly 7 months now. Can't help think I've done something wrong to make them like this!

StateofConfusion Thu 16-May-13 18:36:35

well atleast were not alone! smile

i've been recommended the no cry sleep solution so im going to have a look over that.
2hrs is the best i get too <yawn>

NatashaBee Thu 16-May-13 18:52:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StateofConfusion Thu 16-May-13 22:13:10

we have a electronic swing she hates, i even forked out for one of those hammock cribs which she hates even more, ditto the vibrating chair.

sometimes she just drops off peacefully feeding but mostly she sobs, i hold her rock and pat her and she still sobs daytime she will settle in the carseat or pushchair after a protest and some rocking but from 7onward putting her in either sends her loopy.

I discussed reflux with gp when she was younger but she will sleep laid flat on me and is happy for upto an hour under her gym and will lie in her cot and play when i shower and dress.

She's a pickle!!

now reading no cry sleep solution.

Carmel99 Fri 17-May-13 12:20:20

I've had the same problem with my daughters. DD1 is now 2 and a good sleeper (so there's hope!) but woke up countless times in the night when she was little, and I breastfed her back to sleep. She only got better when I got pregnant again and my milk dried up (she was 14 months).

I read The No Cry Sleep Solution for her, but there is a basic assumption that the child will accept a change, for example from feeding-to-sleep to feeding-to-almost-asleep, but mine just wouldn't accept it at all and insisted that she was completely asleep before I could withdraw, or The Crying would start.

Of course I promised myself I wouldn't feed DD2 to sleep, but she's now 13 months and here we are again in the same situation! She has never slept through and wakes about 4 times a night for feeding and I really don't know how it will eventually stop.

minipie Fri 17-May-13 15:01:44

there are some babies who get overstimulated by being rocked etc, especially once they get a bit older, and so are better at settling if you put them in cot and just stroke/kiss/shh them while they are in the cot.

DD is 6 months and has been a bit like this since 3/4 months - before that, rocking worked, but now it just gets her more worked up and she actually settles better if we leave her in the cot and kiss her/shh her from there.

may not be the case with yours of course, but worth a try?

StateofConfusion Fri 17-May-13 17:10:10

will give that a try mini as that may be the case as she seems to get stroppier each day.

StateofConfusion Fri 17-May-13 23:39:41

we have a fang! may explain this weeks increased stroppiness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now