Talk

Advanced search

Feel a real dread and have convinced myself dc will never sleep in cot....

(4 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Wed 15-May-13 14:43:09

Our dc is 5 wks today. 1 week after coming home dc caught flu and had to spend a couple of nights in hospital with various unpleasant procedures, was heart breaking at the time.

Anyway as I felt they were very vulnerable decided to bed share for a short time. However I am now in a position where they won't lie down on their own and it's actually at the point now where they sleep on me.

I am shattered and after 2 hours of non stop screaming and crying when I tried to put them in cot by my bed I feel utterly deflated and don't know what to do. They also wake every two hours and not normally asleep before 9pm, though start trying at 7pm.

I've tried hand on chest and shushing etc. today as a result of all that crying they are even more clingy, slept on me using my neck as a pillow this morning.

Is this normal at this age or have I messed things up by ed sharing? How will I ever get the, in their cot? Any tips/knowledge or advicePLEASE.....

MumOfTheMoos Wed 15-May-13 14:49:52

Get yourself Elizabeth Pantley no cry sleep solution - it's got loads of fab tips for just your own situation.

Your dc is still very young but I would start trying to get him to sleep in his cot during the day at first - go with the flow at nights for your own sanity.

MumOfTheMoos Wed 15-May-13 14:52:53

Waking up to feed every 2 hours is very normal for a newborn plus it's really rare for a baby that young to go to sleep at 7! 9 is actually quite good going.

Try looking at this website - it gives some very good info on the reality of infant sleep.

http://www.isisonline.org.uk/

Tweet2tweet Wed 15-May-13 19:37:49

Thank you so much for getting back to me and your words of reassurance, has lifted my spirits. That website is great. I let baby sleep in a sling during the day, just allows me to get on with things knowing they are safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now