Talk

Advanced search

17mo and 4yo sharing room...ideas?

(8 Posts)
rhetorician Mon 13-May-13 20:31:45

This had been working great. Baby would go to bed and to sleep at 7.20, dd1 would have a story downstairs and then go up about 25 mins later. But dd2 now won't go to sleep until sister comes up, and then they keep one another awake, messing about. It doesn't matter for the baby, as she has big nap in the middle of the day and gets plenty of sleep, but DD1 needs about 12 hours sleep and is consistently getting less than that. It makes her badly behaved and difficult, amongst other things. DD1 will sometimes sleep a bit longer in the mornings if I can get DD2 out of there before she starts shouting for milk.

Is there anything I can do to make this work better?

mumtolilh Mon 13-May-13 22:16:51

What about doing it the other way round?
4yo to bed first & get baby to sleep somewhere else then gentley put baby to bed?
May not work for you! I have no idea but it deffo sounds like a difficult one! All the best ;) x

DewDr0p Mon 13-May-13 22:21:53

How long has this been going on for? Is it possible that they just need to get bored of the exciting new arrangement and then it will be OK?

Mine have always shared in various combos since dc3 was old enough to move out of our bedroom. I went for the be stern at bedtime and brazen it out approach grin Could you try sticker chart for the 4yo?

Dc3 loves sharing so much that when he used to mess about I used to threaten to remove his big brother to our bed, worked a treat grin

rhetorician Mon 13-May-13 23:52:39

dew suspect that it is all about the new arrangement, and that it will settle. Sticker chart currently preoccupied by teeth, hair, dressing issues....

DewDr0p Tue 14-May-13 10:11:01

Ah yes I remember the joys of having a 4yo! Remember, this too shall pass...

rhetorician Tue 14-May-13 13:15:46

Thanks <grits teeth and digs in for the long haul>

StitchAteMySleep Tue 14-May-13 13:29:55

I have a nearly 16 month old and a 3.11 year old in the same room.

I find it is my youngest dd that tries to encourage her sister to play, she is easily distracted by a light show.

Dd1 listens to storybooks on mp3, she tells her younger sister to be quiet so she can hear them.

rhetorician Wed 15-May-13 20:04:53

And is there any way I can get them asleep before 8.30pm?? Left them at 7.30 tonight in a bid to get them off earlier...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now