Talk

Advanced search

Dropping to two naps

(3 Posts)
melonribena Sat 04-May-13 09:27:33

My 9mth old ds has had three naps a day for as long as I can remember. His day looks like this...

6.30 - bf and wake
7.30 - breakfast
8.30-9.15 - nap in cot
11.30- 12.30 - bf and nap in cot
1.00- lunch
3.00 - v small bf
3.30 - 4.15 - nap in buggy
7.00 - bf and bed
Bf through the night usually 9.30,1.30 and 5!

It is getting harder to get him to nap for that 3rd nap and his naps are woefully short! I feel like he's ready to drop from 3 to 2 naps but what times should I do them?

He's a v active baby, he never looks tired, I have to look at my watch and put him down!

He is definitely ready for his first nap after being awake for two hours but if I condense the other two naps into one will he get screamy and overtired?

Is it likely that his naps will lengthen if I drop one?

Has anyone else dropped from 3 to 2 naps with their dc successfully? How did you do it? How did you know they were ready?

Thanks in advance

SwivelHips Sun 05-May-13 15:05:47

It kind of happened naturally here, he was probably around 7mths. My DS is also not a boy to go to sleep on his own volition (?) so I have to watch him carefully but I also use the clock. I think his awake time at 9 mths was maybe 2.5 hrs but after reading mn threads I dont let him nap before 9. For us we noticed we had trouble getting him to bed at night, so I stretched out his morning nap, and dropped the third. I never let him sleep after 3:15 or he wont go down at night. Sorry I probably haven't been very constuctive here. I think trial and error perhaps. Good luck smile

DrMcDreamysWife Sun 05-May-13 17:08:56

My 8mo seems to have dropped her third nap too. To be honest she would like to still nap but its so late now she won't go to bed if I lee her nap after 3.

She naps 2 hours after she wakes so usually just after nine for about half an hour and then she sleeps after lunch. For anywhere between 40 mins to 2 hours...depending on I'm not sure what!

And she wakes up 3 times through the night if I'm lucky...if I'm unlucky it's a billion times ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now