Talk

Advanced search

3 yr old talks in sleep - seems very distressed

(2 Posts)
Pollaidh Wed 01-May-13 22:44:19

My generally very happy, sociable, extremely bright 3 year old talks on and off throughout the night. The topics of her talk/dreams seem to be quite disturbing, there's lots of 'no no, don't want to do that', and really pitiful sounding whimpers, plus 'I'm scared, no!'. There are the odd funny comments, but overall she seems very distressed. She rarely wakes up though.

The talking seems excessive as a number of carers have commented on it with surprise. When she describes her dreams in the day they're fairly innocuous (cows, rainbows etc). She's not really exposed to scary stories or television.

We're just a bit concerned that there's something going on which is being reflected in her night time chats, and don't know how to help her. It's been going on for a couple of years.

Any ideas, or is this normal?
Thanks

JesusInTheCabbageVan Thu 02-May-13 20:58:29

Hi Pol, I have heard that you only remember the dream you were having when you wake up - i.e. if you have a nightmare and then go straight into a good dream, you won't remember the nightmare. So I suppose if you're really concerned, you could try gently waking her when she's having a nightmare and see if she'll talk about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now