Talk

Advanced search

On holiday and having a nightmare getting nearly 3 year old to sleep. Shall we jack in routine just for holiday?

(12 Posts)
HelloBear Tue 30-Apr-13 20:57:06

on holiday for a week, 3rd night in. We are having annightmare getting our DD to sleep. She is not great at home but as long as we stick to her routine to the minute we usually get her to sleep by 7.30-8 (she goes up at 6.40 so a loooong bedtime routine!).

But since being on holiday it has been a fuzking nightmare. Last night we got her to sleep at 9.40, she has been tiered and grumpy all day as a result. I've been with her for one and half-hours trying to get her down, my DH is now in with her. We can't leave her to CIO as wakes baby and also she can just come into sitting room (small apartment).

So in the sake of our sanity do people think we should just jack in attempting to get her down at usuall time, let her sit up with us till she collapses? I just envisage that this will just lead to utter disaster when we get home.

The alternative is that me and DH have NO time alone and even worse on my holiday I don't get a class of wine till very late sad

This is putting me off going on holiday with her again and I have turned into alwfull

HelloBear Tue 30-Apr-13 20:58:24

Sorry posted too early...

I've turned into a screaming mummy saying nasty things to her (for ex you are ruining mummy's holiday) which does not help.

Any suggestions???

annabelcaramel Tue 30-Apr-13 21:00:30

Yes jack it in. Will be fine when you get home.

MarianForrester Tue 30-Apr-13 21:10:50

Jack in routine, relax, enjoy holiday. Things will be back to normal when you get home. It will all be fine smile

MarianForrester Tue 30-Apr-13 21:12:09

And try for nap in afternoons..?

PoppyWearer Tue 30-Apr-13 21:13:36

Agree with others, go with the flow, relax and enjoy!

WipsGlitter Tue 30-Apr-13 21:17:41

Does a three year old cry it out? What's she actually doing?

Wossname Tue 30-Apr-13 21:34:20

Can you tire her out during the day, give her fair warning of (a later) bedtime so she knows what's expected of her and then just relax and see what happens?

Deal with how she is back home when you actually get home and don't let it ruin your hols by trying to stick to routine.

HelloBear Tue 30-Apr-13 23:38:50

whips CIO is probably the wrong expression, at home we will say mummy/daddy is going downstairs to have tea and will check on you in 5 mins, she will protest for 1 min or so (sometimes less) then settle. So not 10 minutes of crying, I don't have the stomach for that!

Yes trying our hardest to wear her out! Lots of fresh air and active activities.

She went to sleep at 10!!!!! Tomorrow night going to take people's advice and just relax about it.

Thanks

Snazzynewyear Tue 30-Apr-13 23:51:07

Can you not do the 'we'll check on you in 5 mins' routine while on holiday? Or is it not working now you're not in your own house?

Just offering another point of view as we had a routine with DS and just kept going with it on holiday. Like you we wanted some chill-out grown up time in the evening.

HelloBear Wed 01-May-13 18:01:51

snazzy I think the change of environment has just unsettled her so she gets out of bed. We are sticking to routine as normal.

I just accept that it's going to be bad and just tackle it at home (again!).

acceptableinthe80s Wed 01-May-13 18:13:50

I wouldn't personally attempt to stick to a routine on holiday. I took ds on holiday when he was 3 and he had a fairly stringent bedtime routine, however on holiday we wanted to go out for dinner in the evening and what with the heat/swimming etc ds was shattered by lunchtime and had a 2 hour nap every day which meant he was able to stay up until 9.30/10 ish. Worked out really well and had the added bonus of a slightly longer lie in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now