Talk

Advanced search

Baby always sleeping, worried something is wrong

(10 Posts)
LowennaGirl Tue 30-Apr-13 19:12:47

Hi all. I'm looking for some reassurance or help. My first baby is 8 weeks tomorrow. She is extremely sleepy and has been since she arrived and I can't help thinking something is wrong. I can understand how people who have the opposite issue think I should just count my blessings but it just doesn't seem right and so I am wondering if anybody else had a baby like this? I am craving to hear this can be normal or tips to get her more awake to the world.

She was born at 38 + 5 via c-sec as I had placenta previa and spent 1 week in NICU due to breathing issues (wet lung or possible chest infection) but since then she has been fine health wise although a bit wheezy sometimes. She is putting on weight and has plenty of wet and pooey nappies but is just always asleep! She will still sleep through feeds if we let her. She is awake for her feed and winding and 1-2 hours in the afternoon/eve but that's it. Sleeps all night (other than 1-1.5 hour for feed/wind) and then all morning other than when doing something active with her e.g. Feed, wind, nappy change.

She is mix fed and suffers wind and reflux. Infacol helps with the wind and we just got a prescription for Infant Gaviscon but haven't started it yet,

I had the 6 week check this week and mentioned to Dr and he was happy because she is smiling, strong, met all the milestones etc and once woken up was alert so I was hoping that would reassure me but now I am worried again and so anxious I can't just relax and enjoy it.

Thanks for any comments.

lightrain Tue 30-Apr-13 19:24:20

How many feeds are you fitting in a day and at night? It is pretty normal for newborns to eat, change nappy then go back to sleep again. They only stay awake for a really short stretch of time (like 1 to 1.5 hours) at that age, in my experience anyway. Nighttime same, but are you saying that she only wakes once in the night? I'd be tempted to wake to feed once more if it were me (that may be controversial though - lots of people think you shouldn't wake a sleepy baby).

LowennaGirl Tue 30-Apr-13 19:59:55

Hi light rain. She was sleeping 7 hours once she was 6 weeks but then would wake starving and have so much the reflux was much worse so I've been waking her after 5 or 6 and she's hungry and ready for it. Sometimes she's awake and just lying in her Moses basket looking around but hasn't woken me up as she hasn't cried (she does cry when too hungry though). During the day I feed every 3-4 hours.

gardenpixie32 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:04:58

I would try not to worry but I know it is hard when you feel like it isn't normal. My twins were born at 34 weeks and as newborns could hardly stay awake. They woke regularly for milk but would fall asleep during feeds. They are now 7 months old and still can only manage to stay awake for 1.5-2 hours at a time. They nap loads during the day still and a straight 12 hours at night. I feel like I have hit the jackpot, twice!

Enjoy your "easy" baby and try not to worry too much.

orangeandemons Tue 30-Apr-13 20:13:25

I'd count your blessings. Ds was totally like this, dd wasn't......

louisianablue2000 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:18:24

Definitely count your blessings. DD1 did not believe in naps, it was exhausting. Then I had DD2 and like your LO she would eat, have her nappy changed then go back to sleep. It carried on for months, it was bliss, DD1 was still under two and we could do lots of activities together while her sister slept. I thought I was an expert at this parenting malarky and loved that maternity leave being a wonderful mother. Then I had DS, another non-sleeper. I'm back to surviving!

LowennaGirl Tue 30-Apr-13 21:04:43

Thank you. It's SO helpful to hear other people have had babies like this and totally understand how frustrating my post could sound compared to somebody suffering as I am useless with sleep deprivation. I think the week in NICU when she was First born has just made me more anxious than I would have been and I had nothing to compare it too as my friends babies are more lively generally. big relief to hear others like this exist. Thank you!

CheungFun Tue 30-Apr-13 21:09:29

I think as long as she is bright and looking around when she is awake then she sounds like a nice easy baby. I think if the dr isn't concerned either you can relax and enjoy your dd smile

DS is 16 months now and sleeps approx 12 hours at night and will often have 3 hours worth of daytime naps as well. I think sometimes the more babies sleep the more they want to sleep iykwim?

SizzleSazz Tue 30-Apr-13 21:13:13

DD1 was born at 36 weeks by C-section after placenta praevia. She never went to NICU but slept all the time - I had to wake her for feeds. She was jaundiced which I think makes them sleepy too.

On the upside she slept 7-7 from 8 weeks and hasn't looked back since (now 6.5 yrs) smile

If she is putting on weight and plenty of wet/dirty nappies, I wouldn't worry too much, HOWEVER a mother's instinct is usually brilliant, so if you have a niggling concern then have a word with the HV/GP

edwardsmum11 Sat 04-May-13 03:56:06

I'd only worry if not gaining/ dropping weight tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now