Talk

Advanced search

3 Month old ds will not nap during the day :-(

(10 Posts)
Loubyloulou88 Tue 30-Apr-13 16:27:04

My 3 month old ds is really uninterested when it comes to taking a daytime nap. He's been like it for a couple of weeks now, and I really struggle to get him to go to sleep. He's a very active baby during the day, and loves to play. He is exclusively bf and more often than not starts snoozing whilst still on the boob, but as soon as I move him to his chair or cot he pings wide awake and wants to play again. In the last week I've managed to successfully put him in his cot twice where he's fallen asleep for around 30 minutes, but all other attempts have failed and he just crys to be picked up. I know there's a small window of oppurtunity to get them off to sleep before they start getting overtired, but its really hard to judge with him. I've read that babies his age should be getting 3/4 naps a day, and I'm worried that it could be effecting his development that he's not. Teamed with this he's just regressed from sleeping 6-8 hours in the night to waking every couple of hours so is getting even less snoozing time!!

Does anyone have any advise on how to get him to start taking naps and even establish some sort of routine??? Please help, as so far today yet again he has had 1 30 minute nap and that was only because he fell asleep on me whilst feeding. Surely this can't be good for him?

FreeButtonBee Tue 30-Apr-13 21:22:53

I always give my DTs a few minutes snoozing on my shoulder before trying the dreaded transfer to the cot, even for daytime naps. They like a rhythmic pat and jiggle to settle them.

What about a sling? Mine will always eventually fall asleep in that.

Also, Ewan the dream sheep is the best £25 I've ever spent.

Don't despair. My DTS was a terrible daytime sleeper til literally this week when he discovered his thumb. He fell asleep on the playmat yesterday! On his own. Without my boob in his mouth! Today he slept for 2.5 hours just like that. So they do change/improve. Although it seems to be in tandem with DTD stopping her daytime sleep...

HandMini Tue 30-Apr-13 21:38:44

It's normal for a young EBF baby to catnap on the boob and not sleep for the promised two hour stretch at lunchtime. Don't panic, your baby will soon ease in to "proper" naps and providing he/she is not getting very screamy / difficult to get to sleep at night, then they're probably not overtired.

Kiriwawa Tue 30-Apr-13 21:40:10

Get a sling and then you can carry him around while he naps. He just wants to be close to you I expect smile

Loubyloulou88 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:54:21

Thanks for your encouraging replies. He seems to get a bit yawny and his eyes look like he needs a nap, but when it comes to the crunch he just will not drift off without boob!! Bless him, I tried to put him down in his cot on another 3 separate occasions today when I thought he might drift off, and all I got in return was a gummy smile and wide eyes. No chance mummy is what I think he was saying. I'm glad to hear that your little ones were the same, I just worry as you read so much about how sleep is vital for their development. I think I'll just go with the flow for now.....

Loubyloulou88 Wed 01-May-13 01:30:51

Oh and we've got a Close sling, but the one time we put him in it he wasn't a happy bunny! But will def try him again and see if that helps

LillyofWinchester Wed 01-May-13 01:35:39

No advice but my 15 week old son is the same, its good to see he's not the only one! I think if he's generally happy when awake then he must be ok, and hoping he starts enjoying his naps soon...

Meringue33 Wed 01-May-13 02:30:15

Mine is the same. It's a flipping nightmare. Pram and car work so I end up organising my day completely round his nap times.

Loubyloulou88 Wed 01-May-13 07:14:42

He always falls asleep in the car, and we're going shopping today so hopefully he can have a good long snooze. Is it true that the more they sleep in the day the better they will sleep at night? I'm wondering if that's why he's regressed?

Loubyloulou88 Thu 02-May-13 04:22:27

Just to update, we went shopping yesterday, and as predicted ds fell asleep in the car, must have had a couple of lengthy naps during our outing, and tonight has slept from 9:30pm and just woken now at 4am for first time. Not sure if its a coincidence, but looks like I'd best make sure the car is full of diesel!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now