Talk

Advanced search

6months and waking at 4am

(4 Posts)
2llfrancis Tue 30-Apr-13 08:40:12

Hi. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? My son slept 7-11-7 (tried dropping dream feed and he woke at 2pm) he has started to wake at 4-5am happy and chatting but getting louder and louder and then upset. I go in and offer water and he seems quite happy, I put him back in his cot and about 10 mins after he starts again but this time has done a poo. I offer water again and he won't settle so he has 4/5oz. Obviously I do not want to deny him food but just can't believe he would be hungry. He is 18.3lb, has 3 meals a day and 5 x 6oz bottles!!
I really don't want to read too much into it and try and reason it too much if its a phase but am worried we will fall into nighttime feeding again.... As it becomes habit. Any advice please greatly welcome!

MsElisaDay Wed 01-May-13 10:57:33

My DS is six months too, and what you describe would be a very, very, good night in our house!
His "good nights" involve just a feed at 11pm and another at 4am, before getting up at 7am. Only once has he gone without the 4am feed, and never without the 11pm one.

However, recently he's been up every hour, and feeding three times in the night. I think they have a growth spurt at six months, so this is probably it...
Hoping for some better sleep soon, as I'm back at work and it's killing me!

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 01-May-13 10:59:16

Sorry but they often wake very early to play or eat. Sounds pretty normal if irritating . It will pass....eventually....

2llfrancis Sat 04-May-13 09:56:11

Thank you. I think I will keep the dream feed for a while, your right about growth spurts so that's prob what it is. MsElisaDay - I truly sympathise with you, broken sleep is a killer but with work the next day it's horrible sad
I hope you get some unbroken sleep soon.
If growth spurts happen at 6months is it wise to drop the 11am bottle just yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now