Talk

Advanced search

Is it time to drop the nap? 2.5yo

(6 Posts)
TittyBojangles Tue 30-Apr-13 08:02:19

Ds is 2.5 and was a great sleeper, had 2 hours at lunchtime and slept 7 til 630 ish no probs. til I messed it all up by changing his cot to a bed (he'd started climbing out).

We've got past the initial not wanting to go to bed phase now (took about 4 days). But now he is waking really early and won't go back to sleep. Earliest has been 3 am, latest 520!! This has only been for a week and I know we have had it good so far but I feel it's my fault his sleep has gone to pot and both of us are too tired.

I got a gro clock and have used that the last 3 nights but so far it's made no difference. He does understand it but won't go back to sleep, just watches it. Won't stay in bed unless I'm in there with him otherwise just stands at the stair gate screaming.

I know it's not been long and I've been hoping everything will settle back but any ideas? I was wondering if its time to drop the nap, but he really is tired and wants it, takes himself off to bed saying tired. Do I persevere with the clock? Leave him to cry (not something I have had to do, never needed to do any kind of sleep training). My instinct is he still needs his nap, it'd be a bit coincidental that he needs to drop it right when we've messed around with his bed. And actually in the past when he's had less or more sleep during the day its not effected his nighttime sleep at all.Going to bed later makes no difference, never has.

Anyone been here and any thoughts appreciated.

emmyloo2 Tue 30-Apr-13 08:07:45

Oh dear. See my current post. I feel your pain. Once they figure out they can come out of the bed, it all becomes much harder. I don't think leaving them to cry would help at all to be honest. I have not done this with our son because it would distress him and me too much and I am not sure it would solve the problem. I also don't like the idea of him wondering where we are and thinking we have left him alone. The only thing I am doing is consistently putting him back in bed until 5.30am. After 5.30am we allow him to come into our room and we will all get up. We have had this for months now. He is getting better but still comes out of bed most nights and is awake by 5.30 most mornings. Sorry I don't have any solutions. I need them myself!

TittyBojangles Tue 30-Apr-13 08:12:55

Months? MONTHS? That's not the kind of answer I need at all! wink

I'm expecting the next poster to say piff poff puff and he'll sleep in tomorrow. grin

emmyloo2 Tue 30-Apr-13 08:48:47

oops, I meant days, not months! grin

Seriously though, it has got better over time and it doesn't disturb us too much. He used to come out of bed at bed time and thankfully he has stopped doing that. Someone suggested putting a gate at his bedroom door or locking him in his room hmm but that to me would just leave him screaming at his door. The one thing we haven't done is let him come into our bed. We consistently put him back in his bed, despite it being quite tiring. He actually now runs back into his room when he sees us get out of bed because he knows he is not meant to come out of bed. So he realises he shouldn't but it's like he can't help himself. Hence I keep hoping as he gets older he will grow out of it. Can you tell I am trying to convince myself wink

motherto4 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:34:35

It took DS2 quite a while to get used to his bed which we introduced to him round about the time you did. BUT he hardly got up that early in the morning and he is quite pliable, to an extent!

DS3, however, is a totally different kettle of fish. He is 2yrs 9 months and still not figured how to get out of cot. Yey. (I don't know what it is with number 3; either its his temperament or I'm getting softer). I dread the day when he has his own bed!

I would not give up on his nap. It's very important for them to sleep when they're tired and will be a nightmare if they're over-tired. Have you tried putting him down later in the evenings? It mean sacrificing some time on your own in the evening. You probably already do this but I've always adjusted their sleeping routines when they start to wake up at night. It usually works. Every child's different so you'll have to experiment. I hate being disturbed during the night so I really know how you feel OP!

TittyBojangles Tue 30-Apr-13 22:42:39

Will keep you posted over the next few nights. Plan is to just put him back to bed, I know this wont work initially but will give it a few days, if no improvement at all I will try pushing his bedtime back a bit but past experience tells me this is unlikely to effect his wake up time.

I just need the patience/energy to not just get into bed with him for an easy life. I. Will. Be. Strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now