Talk

Advanced search

If DS's sleep is awful at 3 months, does it mean it always will be???

(8 Posts)
bean612 Mon 29-Apr-13 23:21:28

Argh, I'm feeling despairing tonight. I know he's only 12.5 weeks but it's getting even more erratic than when he was tiny. Sometimes he goes off to sleep quickly but then wakes an hour later, sometimes he takes ages to go off then sleeps 2 or 3 hours. Or sometimes half an hour. Or 4 hours (though that was only for a few days and then it stopped). After about 4am (or 3am or even 2am) he generally wakes every hour, grunting and groaning and thrashing around. This morning he was wide awake and smiling at 5am (though luckily went back to sleep after a while).

His older sister (now 4.5) was a diabolical sleeper until she was 3.5, and I feel like we are heading that way again. So I just need to know - is there any possibility that we're not? That actually he might settle down a bit sooner than she did? Please...?!

Cravingdairy Mon 29-Apr-13 23:30:58

Sounds like mine. She wakes once or twice per night now at 20 months. Occasionally she sleeps through. Have you ruled out any intolerances? Mine has cow's milk protein intolerance and I wonder if it used to wake her. Good luck. I tell myself I will miss being up in the night with mine when she's bigger and sleeping better...

extracrunchy Mon 29-Apr-13 23:37:49

OP - in a word - nope! grin

TwentiethCenturyGirl Mon 29-Apr-13 23:41:18

DD was a pretty bad sleeper in the early days. We had some spectacularly awful nights between about 4 - 10 months.

There seemed to be little or non pattern to her sleep and once awake she usually took hours to get back in the cot (she never fed to sleep during the night).

She'll be two next week and is now a good sleeper - goes to sleep on her own and normally sleeps through to about 6.30. I'd say she only wakes about once in every ten nights.

Things seemed to improve of their own accord at about 12 months and by 18 months we were getting some regular unbroken sleep.

Don't despair just yet!

bean612 Tue 30-Apr-13 16:49:40

Well, after DD, 12 months doesn't sound too bad! And certainly I could handle once or twice a night. I wouldn't even mind every couple of hours right now - last night was his best/worst yet: bed at 8.40, awake from 9.25 till 10.40, awake again at 11.30, 12.30, 2.15, then every 15 mins or so till 5am when I handed him over to DH... Could it be the supposed 12-week growth spurt? I don't remember DD even being so wildly erratic at this age...

cleoowen Tue 30-Apr-13 17:04:11

My ds wakes at 6 every morning he is now in his own room at 18 Weeks. If he is not crying we leave him and he goes back to sleep. Maybe,try leaving him if he is awake but not distressed.

He also wakes up screaming from time to time from teething or wind. Could this be the same for yours? I would try and find the reason he is waking up and,rectify it. We now give ds gripe water and teether for his last,two feeds. Now sleeps better.

If it's hunger try a,dream fees at,11pm ish.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 30-Apr-13 17:08:19

No, not at all.

Ds3 is the one who sticks out as the trickiest at night, but by 10 months it had improved (the awfulness peaked at 8-9 months). He has just turned 2 and sleeps 7-7 ......... for now wink

sharond101 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:46:53

DS now 11mo was a great sleeper at 3mo, at 7mo the problems began. Maybe you will be lucky and have it in reverse of this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now