Talk

Advanced search

cranial osteopathy?

(17 Posts)
shelley85 Wed 17-May-06 00:27:09

hiya someone has told me that cranial osteopathy (SP) may help my dd to sleep better and i was just wondering if any one had tried it with their lo? dd started sleeping through at 6 weeks but that stopped when the teeth started coming through feels like i havent slept in months ive tried cc and pu/pd but they dont work. shes now 16mo and has a very bad temper she can scream for hours at a time and i cant keep up like this please help!!!

koalabear Wed 17-May-06 04:59:26

cranial osteopathy has worked very well for some of my friends, and not at all for others

pu/pd is best (I think anyway, could be wrong though) between 6 months and 1 year, so possibly not the bes option for you now that your dd is more aware

cc can be difficult, depending upon which method you are using

i can recommend Richard Ferber's methods (see the book "Solve your child's sleep problems) which worked like a dream for us

also i have seen recommended on mumsnet something called the "no cry sleep solution" which personally i don't have experience in, but you may find more if you search the archives or google it

just to get back to basics though,
1. what is your day time routine (does she have a nap during the day, and if so where and how long)?
2. when are you feeding (and what) and napping?
3. has she has a checkup with the doctor?
4. what is your bedtime routine?

Papillon Wed 17-May-06 07:02:12

how is your disposition at night? Only when I get upset at night from tiredness my babies get more wound up. cranial work has been great for us when ds was newborn. there are lots of people who have had thread about it if you search.

in the day giving her lots of love, cuddles, reassurance might help the nights

shelley85 Mon 22-May-06 16:49:52

hey koalabear i have tried pu/pd and it worked for a week and then she decided she just wouldn't sleep at all which meant grumpy all day tried cc but she can scream at the top of her lungs for hours and gets so upset that she wont settle. she eats well during the day and has a bath story and milk every night before bed. feel a bit silly going to the doctors about it cos theres nothing wrong with her health . will have a look now for the no cry method thanks

shelley85 Mon 22-May-06 16:52:46

hi papillion i'm shattered by the time i'm going to bed and i do seem to have less patience for her messing about. she has loads of cuddles during the day as she is very clingy. What do they do when they do the cranial work? thanks

purpleprincess Mon 22-May-06 16:54:26

I used Cranial osteopathy on my DD at a similar age and definitely seemed to work. She slept after the first treatment - first time in ages and was a bit patchy afterwards - touch wood all OK now. Teething can definitely affect whatever it is that CO loosens up - cant remember the terminology. If you are desperate I would definitely give it a try if you can afford a few sessions. Will be worth it if it works.

Good luck!

purpleprincess Mon 22-May-06 16:55:28

They just put hands on head and back - it is all very gentle and can feel things releasing. They said that DD was definitely a bit tight - she only needed two sessions so definitely worth it in my opinion.

shelley85 Tue 23-May-06 17:17:39

is it expensive? to be honest i would pay anything for a decent nights sleep at the min

am123 Tue 23-May-06 17:42:55

I have just been to see cranial osteopath today with my ds who is 8months and has never slept well. It costs 20 pounds per session and he thinks we should see an improvement after 3 sessions if not before. If their is no change at all by the 3rd session then it is unlikely to be working. His focus for my ds was on his very quick delivery. He found his cranium to be tender. Fingers crossed it works.

carwillin Tue 23-May-06 18:02:35

Does it just work for babies or can it work for toddlers aswell?

am123 Tue 23-May-06 18:08:07

as far as i know even adults can use them for various reasons

shelley85 Tue 23-May-06 22:57:34

i had a very quick delivery with dd but never thought that would be a problem i might go an see the gp and see what he thinks

frumpygrumpy Tue 23-May-06 23:10:12

Not read all the thread but just to say I had cranio sacral therapy for my DT2 who was 6 weeks old at the time and terribly colicky. He was a breech birth and I just felt he wasn't a happy boy. Sleeps like an angel now. DT1 sleeps appallingly and she's getting an appointment soon!! (They're now 22 months)

frumpygrumpy Tue 23-May-06 23:11:58

I also took my DD (5) for some treatment (2 sessions) after a hospitalised illness left her very weak, very run down, very unsettled generally. I found it very helpful again.

donnacb Wed 24-May-06 08:46:27

i took my ds for sessions. he had a twisted scull apparently. he still doesnt sleep through. 18 months but hes a happier chappy in himself. think it must have eased any pain. I take him back when he has a cold or teething. it works for some n not others but always worth a go. good luck

tyedye Wed 24-May-06 09:48:48

Message withdrawn

sandradee Wed 24-May-06 19:48:21

Hi, not sure if this is relevant but we had cranial osteopathy for our son who was ventous. Very cranky, windy, would not sleep etc etc when he was newborn. He also suffered from an increasingly flat head since he would only sleep with it on one side. Went to the Osteopathic Centre for Children in London for several sessions and it worked a treat. Not sure where you live but it's great because it is a charity and you give what you can afford. Also they are geared up to treat children only - for all kinds of problems ranging from sleeping problems through to cerebral palsy. There is one in London and one in Manchester - the website is www.occ.uk.com

I have to say before we did it (we were desperate!)I was extremely cynical but now I would definititely recommend it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: