Talk

Advanced search

not enough sleep for 2.5 yr old

(9 Posts)
bagpussmice Tue 16-May-06 16:25:33

dd2 is 2.5yrs. she goes to bed at 6.30-6.45 and wakes up at 6am. she absolutely refuses to sleep during the day, hence is knackered by about 4pm and just about keeps going til bedtime. I daren't put her to bed any earlier than 6.30 in fear that she may wake up earlier than 6!!

I am worried she's not getting enough sleep - does anyone else have a sleeper like her?

PiccadillyCircus Tue 16-May-06 16:28:36

I also have a 2.5 year old who sleeps about the same about as your DD2. He does manage to do about 7:30 until 7 though which is easier on me.

He does have a nap at nursery though - I think it is the peer influence there. He will occasionally fall asleep in front of the television which I do encourage as otherwise he is quite unpleasant to be near at around 5:30 . I also have DD who is 8 months and can't really face the stress of trying to get DS to sleep during the day .

flowertot Tue 16-May-06 16:29:03

My DD same age, goes to bed 7-7.30pm and wakes about 6am, so wouldn't worry. In my experience though if she goes to bed earlier she doesn't wake any earlier so you could give that a try perhaps if you think she is tired. My DD is on the go all day and has loads of energy so I know she is getting enough sleep. Wish I could say the same about me though!

bagpussmice Tue 16-May-06 16:32:06

thanks, flowertot, perhaps I will try putting her to bed even jsut 10 mins or so earlier.... she really is hanging on in there by bedtime, it's worth a go!
yes, I am knackered too, it's a long day when they are up at 6.00am, and we have to keep going all evening too!

yomellamoHelly Tue 16-May-06 16:40:04

Have also found putting to bed 30-45 mins earlier makes no difference to wake-up time. Wakes at roughly same time everyday regardless of the bedtime.
Have you tried enforcing a quiet time in her bedroom (curtains shut + story + night-night kiss) at midday. Done this with ds for 2.5 months now fairly consistently after lunch. Even if he doesn't sleep he spends an hour on his own and will sleep 2 or 3 times a week and he's come to accept it quite happily (will play quietly on his own if he doesn't sleep).

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 16:40:16

Why do you have to keep going all evening? If you are getting up so early, can't you go to bed early as well?

bagpussmice Tue 16-May-06 16:45:08

bozza I do try to go to bed early when I can. sometimes dh doesn't get in from work til later so we like to spend some time together... most nights I am in bed by 9.30pm

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 16:47:17

Yes I realise that you need time without children around if possible. When DS dropped his nap I did like Helly and made him go to his bedroom and look at books for a quiet time. Helped him to chill and gave me a break in the middle of the day.

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 16:47:51

I was pregnant at the time so quite often would have a little lay down too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: