Talk

Advanced search

Dream feed for breastfed baby?

(15 Posts)
lazzaroo Mon 22-Apr-13 22:23:35

never done the dream feed thing before. I usually just go to bed early & hope for the best! But dd2 has been typically waking between 10-11 anyway & tonight I'm up late (due to being hooked on broadchurch!) so thought I'd give it a go....rather than be woken 5 mins after falling asleep.

Picked her up out of cot, attempted to feed her but nothing! Ended up just putting her back down! I thought the whole point was not to wake them but I obviously didn't wake her enough!

Does it work?

stainesmassif Mon 22-Apr-13 22:26:54

Never has with mine - if they were asleep, they were asleep and not interested, thankyou very much!

lazzaroo Mon 22-Apr-13 22:29:23

That's the impression she's just given me! Can't say as I blame her really! I shall return to going to bed with everything crossed that tonight will be the night that she decides she'll sleep & sleep & sleep!!

Nicknamefail Mon 22-Apr-13 22:45:14

I tried it a few times but realised it wasn't a dream feed, she was waking up properly, and then not taking much as she wanted to be asleep. She would then wake up when she wanted. I wouldn't bother again. The waking up not long after going to sleep is awful isn't it, makes me feel sick. sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 22-Apr-13 22:50:30

Never worked for mine either.

Clarella Mon 22-Apr-13 23:17:52

I believe there's no scientific evidence or basis for it working.

lazzaroo Mon 22-Apr-13 23:30:39

I won't be trying it again! She woke at 11pm anyway. Has fed & back to sleep! Now for me to try & get some sleep before next wake up!

stainesmassif Tue 23-Apr-13 01:21:21

My best advice ( which I wish I'd taken earlier tonight) is go to bed at 8pm at least once a week). Bloody broadchurch!

scarecrow22 Tue 23-Apr-13 02:33:36

my dd happily drank dream feed, but had no effect on her night waking rest if night - whether u did it or nit she still woke at 2 and 5. u dropped it quite early as a result, but have always wondered if I had persevered if it would have begun to have an impact.
ds now just 2 weeks and wondering whether to try it with him later on...hence popping in on this thread.

scarecrow22 Tue 23-Apr-13 02:34:32

sorry so many typos - New and cheap phone

FadBook Tue 23-Apr-13 03:33:06

Didn't work for me either - night waking were normal during my "trial" of it when dd was young. grin

Dream feeds are good if ever baby is unwell and you need to keep her hydrated.

GirlOutNumbered Tue 23-Apr-13 03:55:00

I tried it, but felt guilty, like I was force feeding him. I found that he woke more!

Smicha Tue 23-Apr-13 07:11:31

I tried this for the first time last night as ds was stirring slightly when I came to bed... He proceeded to wake more times last night than he has for months (hence I'm on the sleep boards at 7am)! Needless to say I won't be trying it again!

Clarella Tue 23-Apr-13 07:19:31

I have to say the only time it's been useful is when he's been in post jabs slumber in the day or napping just when I want to go out and know he'll be screaming for a feed as soon as he wakes but I'll be somewhere where I can't. As he's bf in these instances it tends to make him sleep a little longer but only another half hour or so. he's not actually been ill yet (touch wood) but I'd do it then

lagopede Mon 06-May-13 07:45:25

Has anyone had their LO be very vocal during a dream feed? I tried at 1030 last night and his eyes were closed all the way through but he kept stopping and vocalising. Not crying but noisy. He took a fair amount about 80 ml but then woke again only about an hour after he normally does in the night and then again in the morning but actually although wide awake wouldn't take a feed so had to just get him up to play
He normally has his feed at 6ish then falls asleep wakes around 1.30 then 6.30but in the last week has been a bit all over the place probably with a growth spurt. We want our long stint when we sleep of course. It was our first try but he dreamed at 10.30woke at 2.30 then at 5.30 he woke a couple of times in between but went back down again with slumber bear.
btw has anyone else used slumber bear. We tried from yesterday and isn't v sensitive to sound or movement for us. We are really struggling to get him to nap for more than 40 mins at a time in the day sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now