Talk

Advanced search

A few nights ago I put my 13 month old into cot awake for the first time

(10 Posts)
mum1979100 Sat 20-Apr-13 19:24:43

and he rolled around in the cot for an hour 20 mins. Didn't cry, just moaned a bit then went to sleep. I was ecstatic!
But it appears to have been a fluke. Hasn't worked the past 2 nights. Even though I have tried to recreate the scene exactly.
Very annoying.
Not sure why I am posting this.

sharond101 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:59:26

Did you stay in the room or leave? We have been putting DS into his cot awake and I sit beside him until he falls asleep. He often needs me to hold him down gently as he rolls around and sits up laughing but he always goes to sleep fairly quickly and hopefully we can progress to not having to do this. It has helped with night wakings but not early mornings. He is almost 11 mo and was fed to sleep before.

Middlesexmummy Sat 20-Apr-13 22:12:21

Hi , my 13 month old was fed to sleep then patted in the spare room then moved to her cot . Over the last 2 weeks we ve been putting her down awake in her cot , she s not asleep and either usually chatting , laughing crying or moaning . I kiss her good night and leave the room. I do
Usually return within 15 mins because she has the tendency to sit up and fall asleep , head in lap ( strange I know ) but she is falling asleep on her own
However she does still wake once or twice at night and cries for a feed at 5.....

mum1979100 Sun 21-Apr-13 07:36:58

I stayed in the room with him.lay Beside the cot and put one hand in for him to cuddle. I was really surprised cos I have rocked him to sleep his whole life. I thought self settling would involve more crying. But sounds like others do manage to teach self settling without too much crying. I am going to keep trying and hope he does it again!
He generally wakes by 1am and I bring him in bed with me for feed. Then he feeds a couple more times before morning. Thus is another habit I have to try and break.

Middlesexmummy Sun 21-Apr-13 08:23:18

It's 820 and my lo is still asleep!!! Managed to have a shower and a quick tidy !!!! Should I wake her or let her sleep . We did have a really busy day yesterday where she was out most of the day !!

mum1979100 Sun 21-Apr-13 11:01:37

Middlesex mummy your little one sounds cute!- falling asleep sat up- bless her! For what it's worth i dont think I'd have woken her. But I'm guessing it's irrelevant now as can't imagine she's sleeping still at 11am!

Middlesexmummy Sun 21-Apr-13 15:28:14

Hello mum1979100, yes she is v cute in the sense that she s sat up right in her gro bag with her head bowed forward asleep ! I nearly always have to turn her back .... She did end up getting up around 845 , she was in a good mood and we took advantage of the sun and went out however the downside is that her routine has become totally shot today . Usually gets up at 730 and breakfast at 8 ready for short nap around 10 but today , breakfast at 9 and no nap as we were out , when it came to lunch she was either over tired or just not hungry and has been hard to settle for her
Pm nap .... I just hope she sleeps tonight as dh is on a night shift and I'm on my own.......

Middlesexmummy Sun 21-Apr-13 19:53:23

How did you get on tonight mum1979100

mum1979100 Sun 21-Apr-13 20:56:53

He settled himself! I had to take him out cot a couple of times to feed him which relaxed him. But put him back in and he eventually settled. It's a long slog trying to do no crying! I do wonder if I'm just a martyr sometimes and should just leave him in the cot to settle himself. Just not sure I could stand listening to his cries though!
How did you get on?

Middlesexmummy Sun 21-Apr-13 21:05:00

Hi there , I fed her at 4pm , she then played in the garden ( fresh air ) for a while then at 545 had half a bowl of farleys , bathtine at 630 , in her sleep suit by 7. She then had 4oz if milk and I took her half awake and settled her in her cot . She then proceeded to sit up to assume her normal laying position forward but I tried to lay her back and then left the room , I heard her moan for a bit , I then returned and she was asleep and still is . I hope it lasts.... Fresh air helps a lot I think . With the crying , there are different types of cry as I'm sure u know and I'm pretty sure you could pick out if dc was in pain or distress . Usually it's prob because they are settling themselves . It's hard to hear I know but in the long run it will be so much better for your family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now