Talk

Advanced search

3 month old Cries before Naps and Bedtime

(9 Posts)
Gizmo100 Sun 14-May-06 22:37:39

My 3 month year old is terrible at fighting tiredness. I watch her carefully for the 1st signs of tiredness but usually starts with her screaming histerically - today it last 75 minutes and me jumping into the car with her to go to my sisters for a break! She still never slept when we got there. At night it takes us circa 1 hour to get her to sleep. The negatives are bar from this she hardly naps but the plus is she usuall goes down at 7/8pm and wakes at 6am. her crying is really bad and both my parents cant believe how upset she gets (hold breath etc). My mum and sister have told me to leave her to cry but I am not sure for how long. I have neighbours up above so I am also conscious of that too. I breastfeed her to sleep (for last 2 weeks) but I know this isnt a long term solution. Any ideas would be appreciated.

brimfull Sun 14-May-06 22:51:12

sounds like she's overtired when you put her down.Have you tried putting her down earlier than usual ?

Tommy Sun 14-May-06 22:54:15

I would carry on breast feeding her to sleep. I did it with DS1 for a year. Depends what you mean by a "long term solution" - that worked for us.

Gizmo100 Mon 15-May-06 20:41:00

I have tried to put her down early in case she was over tired but as soon as she feels herself being lowred down she starts screaming. I seen the health visitor today and she said there was nothing wrong with feeding her to sleep. However she also suggested swaddling her tighly and holding her on front of me with her back on my front. It took 10 mins til she went down!!!! I hope it continues!! Thanks for your advice

edam Mon 15-May-06 20:49:12

Agree with ggirl but another idea is that some babies really don't like sleeping on their backs - do you think that might be the problem? The research does show conclusively that sleeping on their backs dramatically reduces cot death. But you could try her side - using a rolled-up towel. Or take her to a cranial osteopath. Sometimes they help soothe babies who have had difficult births or seem to have problems laying their heads flat.

PanicPants Mon 15-May-06 21:02:59

My ds does this during the day but goes down alright at night. Think it's just how they are, they don't want to miss anything.

jambot Tue 16-May-06 10:16:35

My dd slept on her side until about 5 months. She hated laying on her back. Also try propping the mattress up a bit so she's not laying too flat. Does she have anything with her in bed - blankie, dummy etc? I normally found that at that age, my dd would sometimes cry up to 10 minutes before she dropped off for a nap. The length of time makes me think she's not comfortable in some way. You may have to try a process of elimination before you find anything that will settle her.

Gizmo100 Wed 17-May-06 09:44:49

I havent put her on her side before - I tried on her tummy just to see her reaction and it wasnt good! Had thought out the cranial thing - my sister did this with my niece who was breech and it really worked. I managed to swaddle her and put her in her pram 10 mins ago and it toks 5 minutes for her to dose off which is really quick (didnt see the new replies here!). Next nap I will put her on her side with the towels and see what happens and keep trying that if not I will go down cranal route.
Many thanks to all for their advice - its all getting used!!

Gizmo100 Wed 17-May-06 09:46:54

The other thing I meant to mention is that she point blank refuses a dummy (Since day 3!) and the comfort blankets which I keep with her all the time - there is no interest shown. I keep a bunny rabbit in her crib too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: