Talk

Advanced search

4 yr old getting up every night

(5 Posts)
Apparentlychilled Mon 08-Apr-13 10:41:19

Hi all
All of a sudden my DD (4.5) has been waking up every night. It's usually not for long (for a wee (which she can do herself, but says she wants help), or cos she can't find a teddy or something). It's now been going on for 2 or 3 weeks and DS is teething too, so having disturbed nights. So I'm feeling a bit frazzled and tired and in need of tips.

We've talked about how she can go for a wee by herself or turn on her night light to find a teddy and how she's not to get up (or rather get me up) at night. We have a GroClock which (usually) works, so she knows it's not time to get up. We've been doing lots of 1-2-1 stuff, so I don't think it's that and we've had no major changes in our lives recently.

I suspect that she's twigged it's a way to get attention, but we have both been doing things w her w/o DS so she is getting attention.

Any tips anyone? Am close to killing her today and it's really just tiredness.

TIA

Apparentlychilled Mon 08-Apr-13 14:39:28

anyone?

Apparentlychilled Mon 08-Apr-13 15:46:54

Good to know everyone else has pre-schoolers who ways sleep through.

thewarmestowl Mon 08-Apr-13 16:03:07

My DS1 is the same age, and does sometimes still wake up in the night. Some things, e.g. bad dreams, I can't really think of any solution to.

Re lost teddy, we have wedged a pillow between bed and wall on that side, so that there's only one place teddy can really go, i.e. on the ground on the non-wall side. We haven't been called through due to lost teddy in a while, so I can only assume that he can now find him himself. His teddy also has a bell round its neck (we didn't put it on, but it's useful!), so I suspect he hears him fall and retrieves him.

Re toilet trips, have you tried a potty near the bed? DS1 would not manage to go to an actual toilet in the night by himself - he can't reach the lightswitch for starters, but if we leave a potty in his room (he has a night light) he is capable of using that withouft disturbing us.

We have a GroClock too, set for 7am, and if he stays in bed until then he wins 15 minutes of TV before pre-school, which seems to be quite an incentive for him, although is maybe not the best parenting technique (!). But any incentive that would work for her could be worth a try?

Sympathy, it is hard work, I also have a younger DS who is not a good sleeper, and struggle to get through the days sometimes.

Apparentlychilled Mon 08-Apr-13 18:41:24

Thanks, the warmest, it's comforting to know I'm not alone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: