Talk

Advanced search

When do you sleep if you have a newborn and a toddler?

(9 Posts)
gettingolderandoutofstyle Sun 07-Apr-13 13:54:39

I remember not getting much sleep at night when DS was a newborn, now he is 2 and I am pregnant with DC2 I am excited but wondering when I will actually get to sleep in the early days? I remember only getting about 2 hours sleep at night, 4 if I was lucky with DS for about the first 6 weeks, how will I cope on that when I have a 2 year old who wakes me up at 6am every day and does not ever take a nap any more?? How do other people survive those first weeks??

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sun 07-Apr-13 19:49:37

Sorry no magic answer, I just went to bed earlier. It is tough.

lazzaroo Sun 07-Apr-13 19:54:38

It is hard. In my experience, you just don't get to sleep! Don't feel guilty to take up any offers you may have from people offering to have your eldest for you for a while. Even if it's just to take them out to park for couple of hours. You may not get to sleep but you can at least then rest while your new baby naps. I often find myself waiting for my eldest (aged 3) to go to bed so that I can too! Sad but true!

FattyMcChubster Sun 07-Apr-13 19:59:09

I never did the 'nap when baby naps' thing. Big mistake grin
Can anyone take the toddler for an hour or so when baby naps?

iwouldgoouttonight Sun 07-Apr-13 20:04:20

I only had 2-3 hrs sleep a night when DS was a newborn, but DD was a better sleeper and she'd wake for feeds but then settle herself much better than DS did so I did get more sleep the second time around.

DP and I also split the night time up a bit, I'd feed DD and then go to bed about 7pm when DS went to bed, then I'd get up for any feeds but if she wouldn't settle then DP would do the settling if it was before 2am and I'd do it if it was after 2am! Sounds a bit silly now I've written it down but it worked for us, it meant that I'd only wake to do feeds in the first part of the night so I knew I'd get quite a bit of sleep, and feel better about being up a lot in the second part of the night.

bonzo77 Sun 07-Apr-13 20:05:45

You don't really. Get as much help as you can. Get your toddler to have quiet tv time so you can doze on the sofa. I've very lucky as my toddler still naps and I FF so the night feeds can be shared. But it's still hard

Pascha Sun 07-Apr-13 20:11:35

Having recently been through this stage with my toddler and 13 week old the only thing which kept me sane was for me to go to bed at 8pm and DH to do 4 or 5 hour shift, then him going to bed around 1am and me being on duty the rest of the night. At least I managed to get a run of sleep that way.

Still not great though. We are at the point for the last 3 weeks where DS2 has a bedtime and by 8.30pm latest I am free but even so I am listening to the shuffling on the monitor and waiting for the cry...

Take any and all offers of help, whether that be taking a child for a bit or doing some housework or just making dinner for you.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 07-Apr-13 20:17:11

You don't in my experience. I walked round like a zombie for months.

Suchanamateur Tue 09-Apr-13 10:15:39

Bed as soon as they are asleep. Coffee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now